How exactly does iDisk work?

compton

Registered
Yea I was just curious how iDisk works. Its similar but not exactly the same as AFP, because that shares a whole OS X home directory, where as iDisk is customizable. I heard once I believe that it runs off of OS X Server, and Server allows customization of network disks like iDisk. Does anyone have any insight into this subject?

iDisk uses the WebDAV protocol. You can find some tech info on the protocol here: http://www.webdav.org/

I think it is an Apache module (from memory) and can be run on Mac OS X and Unix machines.

I remember reading an article where a user who had to manage twenty macs used a Webdav server on a Linux box, and a DNS redirect to make the macs on the network treat the server as if it were Apple's own iDisk.

But should you be able to do that same idea with OS X Server? Cause I doubt Apple uses Linux boxes.

Of course. I suspect Apple is running the iDisk on either Mac OS X server or some other Unix/BSD based server. The WebDav module can be run on any system that runs Apache, which includes Mac OS X (which comes with Apache built-in).

Back