How long did it take you to install Panther?

macnewguy

A Mac New Guy
It took me a friggin' 2 hours. i don't know if it is supposed to take that long, but that sure was a long time.

Which install did you do? Custom? Archive and install? Clean? Selective languages? Xcode or without? Which printer drivers? If all/standard/archive and install, that 2 is probably not so far from normal.

I did a clean install - reformatted the drive and all. I didn't actually time it, but I don't think it took more than 45 mins to an hour for me.

Took me a bit longer than that to set everything back up the way I like it, though. :D

G4/450 here.

I did an archive and install on my PowerBook G4 500, with the "easy install" option. It took about 30 minutes on the first CD and another 20 on the second.

It's gonna take me a real long time - my mom has huge problems upgrading computer systems! Probably about a month just to convince her to buy the software, another few weeks to get her to buy a 40GB backup drive. It shouldn't be this hard!
btw - Anyone know a good price for a used 40GB Firewire HD? Need one for backup because I want to wipe the disk and do a clean install of panther when I get it, need to just copy the HD and then put stuff back.

I did one re-format and install (on my 17" 1 GHz) and one simple upgrade (on my girlfriend's 15" 1 GHz)...

Neither took more than 1 hour!

2 1/2 hours sounds crazy!!!

from bootup to the desktop I'd say it took me about half an hour. did a clean install, unchecking everything I don't need (all the languages, asian fonts, unnesecary printer drivers...). From what I remember os x takes way long to install all the localizations

And 9 copied a disk img to the hard drive that basically contained nothing. I think the OS 9 system is well under 400mb(well the g4 instal of 9.0 not 9.1), and I know this because I had the pleasure of reinstalling my 9 partition after the bless file went bad as well as many other system item. Tried to use the 9 disc with Jaq, that wouldn't work, so i had to use the old G4 install disc.

Seems like the more and more I look around about Panther, the more I see no reason to jump over just yet. And the urge for the new system is mind wrenching. It's like i have nothing in common any more, so I just read along rarely making a post. :confused:

Took me about 45 minutes. Did upgrade/archive install. Only probelm the palm software has a bug in it.

calliex

Took about 45-60mins on my 600mhz G3 iMac. Did a clean install, but without all foreign languages, unecessary print drivers etc. Just bare minimum. Thought it was quicker than 10.2 though.

Maybe about 40 - 50 minutes. Clean install, selective packages, and including X11, Italian and Spanish (X11 and Italian were btw on the cd 3, I remember someone askin what was there), and Canon drivers ... and less than 15 minutes more for XCode. :)

Back