How Many MP3's do you have?

3,164 songs, 9.4 days, 15.48GB.

I was sitting at about 2,000 songs, but got an iPod photo 60GB for Xmas and quickly ripped the rest of my CDs... this thing holds TOO MUCH!

I have 464 songs listed in iTunes right now (4 are presidential debates, and most of the rest are MP3's). Plus probably close to a hundred CD's, unripped.

Nobody buys CD's anymore music nowadays is all digital. So how much do you have?

Psst. Didn't anyone tell you? CD's are digital too.. (And still the best way to get HIGH QUALITY music)

That's a lot of Phish. I'm more of a meat eater, myself. ;)

Should we start saying how we got the songs on our computers? Or would some of us have to plead the 5th?

Arden said:
Should we start saying how we got the songs on our computers? Or would some of us have to plead the 5th?
Well, less than 10 of mine are from the Internet that didn't involved iTMS. The rest are all from iTMS, audible.com or rips.

I think if someone is stupid enough to brag about pirating music, they should be ashamed of themselves.

So Arden, how did you get your music?

Hmmmm, can I list the number of those mp3s I got from napster in those days? :)
In these days I am not into chosen songs and rather listen to radio. Never downloaded a song from iTMS..

Hey, I'm not bragging or anything, I'm just wondering how people manage to amass music collections of 10,000 songs and still be able to afford their pretty Macs. Like I said before, I usually download MP3's, but I also buy CD's from time to time (which are unripped and will add immensely to the total once they are ripped to disk).

I guess we are the odd ones here. We have 2,500 CD's worth of music but never felt the need to Rip them to our computer... Especially to a compressed format like MP3.

We listen to our CD's through analoge McIntosh pre-amp + amplifier and dynadio studio monitors.

Even if I RIP'd these all to uncompressed AIFF's the Mac mini-jack audio out & D/A converters would surely add more noise than our CD Player's D/A's. So all we'd gain is noise, a lot of full hard drives, and a mess or wires connecting our computer and stereo.

So I guess we don't get to Mix & Burn because we ain't gonna Rip any time soon...

Apple Lossless is pretty good. Besides, half the advantage is having the music when and where you want it. If you stay at home 24/7, it's not much of a problem. But the joys of an iPod ...

Even at home it might make sense to rip the songs. My gf and I have around 400CDs (real albums and not burned from any mp3s) and sometimes we feel like a special song. If you are not an expert it will be a tough thing to find the right artist, the right album and the location of the CD... Typing just the refrain into itunes-search is a lot easier.

I guess it would have been helpful to add that the only reason I haven't ripped my CD collection is because I keep all my MP3's on the internal hard drive so I don't have to have the big noisy Firewire drive on to listen to my music, and it's already running out of space. Imagine trying to fit 90 CD's onto a 12 gig drive with loads of other crapware on there.

Back