How to burn an ISO?

markpatterson

Registered
I'm a bit of an OS junkie. I'd like to try out different operating systems. I downloaded OpenBSD recently to try on my intel machine, but the normal way of copying produced just an copy of the ISO file. It didn't generate a bootable CD ROM. How do you do that from OS X? The burner in the ibook is the only one we have.

You can use Roxio Toast Titanium to burn an image and make it bootable. I suspect it is also possible to do it from the Disk Copy utility (/Applications/Utilities) but you might have to dig around a bit.

If you don't have Toast, it's possible to use Disk Copy(at least the version in 10.2)

Just select Burn Image from the file menu, and select the image.
Then click burn, and you're all set.

On a related topic, and not to steal the thread from Mark... Is is possible to use Toast or Disk Copy to create a ISO image file? All I seem to get is .DMG files from Disk Copy and I couldn't find any information on creating them with Toast. I guess it really isn't that big of a deal cause I don't have a burner on my iBook, but I would like to be able to make them so I can use the burner on my PC.

To create ISO image with Toast u can use "Save as disc image" feature under file menu.

It creates a .toast file that can be burned as an ISO file on other apps like Nero Burnign Rom for PC.

I've already tried and all works perfectly.

Originally posted by Captain Code
If you don't have Toast, it's possible to use Disk Copy(at least the version in 10.2)

Just select Burn Image from the file menu, and select the image.
Then click burn, and you're all set.

Thanks, I finally got around to doing that with Mandrake 9.1 RC 1. And it's now installed on my PC.

Back