How to get JPEG rather than PDF files in Jaguar screenshots?

markpatterson

Registered
It seems that command-shift-3 was changed to make PDF files, which I don't know how to edit. Is there some option to make it generate a different kind of file?
Everyone else seems to use JPEGs, PNGs and GIFs. I wonder why the change was made?

You could do that up to 10.1. Defaults write com.Apple.Screenshot .. etc etc.

In 10.2 the default is PDF, and you can't change it. So either open the file in Preview and export it in the format you want, or install Kunvert (see in versiontracker), you can use that program to convert it even without launching the application. :)

Just screenshot as PDF and open the file in GoldBerg (wonderful, free, light and speed-lightnin image editor) to save it as GIF, JPEG or PNG, and many other formats.

You can search for Goldberg on Version Tracker.

Instead of doing a normal screenshot, if you press Shift-Control-Command-3, instead of making a PDF file it copies the shot into the clipboard, so you can copy/paste it into an image editor. Also, Shift-Control-Command-4 lets you do the same but select only a part of the screen to capture.

Hope that helps! =)

I have been doing my screen shots with snapzpro & am still struggling a little to make it feel like a natural habit.

I wanted to speak, however, to the advantages of capturing screens as pdf vs. the traditional (old school?) jpg or tiff. Many of the programs re-written for OsX now allow for not only exporting, or printing as, pdf, but also allow for importing and placing pdf. OmniGraffle, InDesign and Keynote come to mind. pdf provides a much better and more scalable image in these apps & is a pleasure to use.

pdf also allows for a one step, easy to open and look at, file for windows users, particularly those in an office environment with limited breadth of skill and software at their disposal. I have emailed jpgs in the past & had to explain that these could open in explorer, powerpoint, word or even excel. pdf (after what seemed like years of unfamiliarity in the windows world) is now pervasive. This allows for easy viewing with a double click in their email and, sometimes more importantly, simplified printing.

As usual - what works for you will depend on your needs and the needs of those that you are working with.
cheers,
Ian

Thanks for the link Bob! I didn't know there was a program like that out there. PERFECT :D

It really is a shame that Apple wouldn't let us specify this though. For a computer that is meant to mold itself to the user's personality, it seems odd that we need workarounds like this.

In reply to ianfinity, I mainly use screen shots as attachments to emails, and most of the screenshots I see are on the web. For that use JPEG or PNG would be more applicable. Acrobat / PFD is not as good in those cases.

Back