how to install gcc?

waiting_for_OSX

Registered
I want to install gcc and make on OS X.

You need make to compile gcc. You need gcc to compile make. gcc instructions state to start by installing the 32MB file called "Darwin Development Environment for Mac OS X
" found here:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/darwin/

I ran the installer, which claims it completed successfully however, I can't find any files that it installed ( it seems that gcc, cc and make were not installed ).

Furthermore, I can't find any documentation on what this installer does or did to my computer.

Can anyone explain this situation?

Uh, have you tried typing make or gcc in Terminal? If you get a "no make in list o directories" then it's not in your path...

I am pretty sure make is already installed with OS X, not sure about gcc.

i think what you really want is the developers toolkit, not the darwin development environment. this installs binary versions of both make and gcc.

yeah that s it. the darwin development environment is a set of tools that are basically required if you want to build your own kernel. for generic c compiling, you just need gcc, and for generic software installing, you need make. this kit includes those things, along with some GUI development tools that are just downright neat. the darwin development environment is just boring, on the other hand. (IMHO)

Back