How to reinstall Mac os x install disk using a external optical drive.

David Sierocki

Registered
Im trying to reinstall my mac os x install disk using a samsung external optical drive. My super drive is jammed so i purchased a samsung on amazon. When i put the disc in i click on it to open it and the option install mac os x and bundled software. So i click it and a screen pops up saying click on the button below to restart and start your installation. The problem is when the mac restarts the installation doesnt start. All that happens is the screen that gives me the option to install mac os x and bundled software pops up. So what do i do, i click it and once again im on the screen that says click on the button below to restart and start your installation. Ive tried this 10 times, just keeps repeating. Someone please help.

Which Mac do you have, and which version of OS X are you trying to install?

What happens if you shut your Mac off (with that installer DVD in the external drive) then restart while holding the Option key.
You should see a screen with several icons, including the OS X installer, so just click on that icon to select it, then press return, or click the right-facing arrow (depends on which Mac you have)

You do need to start up the computer with the installer disk. It sounds like when you restart, you are still using the computer's hard drive. If you follow Delta's instruction, you should be able to get it started.

If you are using Tiger or installing Leopard you must use a FireWire connected optical drive. After Leopard you can use a USB drive. Also use the System Preferences and set the start up disc to the install disc location.

Last edited:
Back