HP Laserjet 6mp serial to USB

Swrdfshtrombone

Registered
Hello all,

I am running Mac OSX 10.1.4 and want to use my old HP Laserjet 6MP on my Titanium G4 Powerbook. The Laserjet only had a serial out, and my Powerbook only has a USB in. I bought a Keyspan serial to USB adapter but cannot get the Print Center to recognize my Laserjet. Does OSX support serial devices? Or am I missing some drivers? Please advise.

Thanks.

I am in a similar situation, but I am trying to get my LaserJet 1100 to work.

Can you see the printer in the print center? I have a listing for mine, but it's "unsupported".

There is a program called PowerPrint which may be of use to you. It only runs from Classic, and only prints from non-OS X applications, but from your OS X application you could save to a PDF file, then print that from Classic. It supposedly deals with a large number of printers (it would deal with mine), but I never purchased it due to the $80 price tag. But you may want to go look for it all the same.

If you are good with Unix, you may be able to get your printer working from there. I've had a few tips, but I'm stuck for now. There's a thread I started about this -- search for LaserJet 1100 and you should find it easily.

No, the print center can't even find my Laserjet. I looked everywhere for drivers. I downloaded HP's set of drivers for OSX. I looked on Adobe's site, but they only have old Postscript drivers for Classic. It's as if my printer doesn't exist to my G4.

I'm not a UNIX guy. I'm not a programmer. I'm just a kid trying not to have to buy a new printer (the 6MP was not cheap!). But if I have to buy $200+ worth of adapters ($87 just for the serial-to-USB), drivers, and software, I might as well buy another. I was having a fine time printing via IRdA, but OSX doesn't support that either. Right now, I'm emailing my roommate (who has a PC) attachments of my Office X files and printing off his computer. It's a pain. Blah...

Back