I can't hook my ibook up to my tv!

woolly

Registered
I just recently got a video adapter for my ibook. When i plug it in, the screen goes all blue and then back to normal again, but when i plug the s-video cable in, there is no signal. When I go to display preferences, it still says "Color LCD".

When i tried to reboot, something showed up in the TV during the OS X start up, but it was all fuzzy. When OS X started agian, there was no signal again on the TV.

Does anyone know what is wrong?

I have an ibook 500MHZ G3 and running OS X panther 10.3.1

Thanks in advance.

sounds like it might be a hardware problem. Does the jack work with just headphones for sound? You may want to take it into an apple service place and let them take a look at it.

dixonbm said:
sounds like it might be a hardware problem. Does the jack work with just headphones for sound? You may want to take it into an apple service place and let them take a look at it.
It is a dual USB ibook which means i connect it with a mini-VGA port.

Maybe it has something to do with the tv? Does it have a direct s-video in? Do you have a scart-adaptor?

Zammy-Sam said:
Maybe it has something to do with the tv? Does it have a direct s-video in? Do you have a scart-adaptor?
nothgin to do with the TV as it doesn't work on any of the TVs and the composite out doesn't work on any of the VCRs.

I re-installed panther and now it will show fuzzy stuff on the TV when OS X is started and i think i know what is wrong. In display preferences, there is only an option to display @ 75hz, but i want to display @ 50-60hz as that is what it is suppose to be.

From the apple web site
NTSC Resolutions

640 by 480 60 Hz (NTSC)
800 by 600 60 Hz (NTSC)
1024 by 768 60 Hz (NTSC)

PAL Resolutions
640 by 480 50 Hz (PAL)
800 by 600 50 Hz (PAL)
1024 by 768 50 Hz (PAL)

woolly said:
It is a dual USB ibook which means i connect it with a mini-VGA port.

If there's a checkbox labeled something like "show only recommended resolutions", you could try unchecking that one and see if the resolution you need appears.
It probably doesn't work, because the iBook requires a digital identification signal from the VGA unit to know what resolution and refreshment rate to use.

The older iBooks (500 and 600 MHz I think) have an A/V port with both composite video and stereo audio signal, similar to the analog port on common camcorders. You need an apple a/v cable for use with that port. It has a jack in one end and three phono plugs in the other.

ksv said:
If there's a checkbox labeled something like "show only recommended resolutions", you could try unchecking that one and see if the resolution you need appears.
It probably doesn't work, because the iBook requires a digital identification signal from the VGA unit to know what resolution and refreshment rate to use.

The older iBooks (500 and 600 MHz I think) have an A/V port with both composite video and stereo audio signal, similar to the analog port on common camcorders. You need an apple a/v cable for use with that port. It has a jack in one end and three phono plugs in the other.
that option is only available in jaguar.
again, my ibook is not a clamshell one. It is the 2001 model.

I did a archive and install with jaguar over panther, now i have bigger problems. I can't login!.

:(

My wife has a 12" snow ibook dual USB. We have an A/V cable that hooks into the same jack as the headphone jack. We use it to watch dvds using a TV when we travel.

dixonbm said:
My wife has a 12" snow ibook dual USB. We have an A/V cable that hooks into the same jack as the headphone jack. We use it to watch dvds using a TV when we travel.
what the specs? I am just curious to know if i do buy a newer ibook, the same cable will work or not.

woolly said:
what the specs? I am just curious to know if i do buy a newer ibook, the same cable will work or not.

All models 2001-May 2002 have the A/V jack output. The 700/800 MHz models and newer come with a video adapter (the one you describe?) for use with the same port as the VGA port.

Hey I may solve your problem. I have a new G4 iBook and TV adaptor. The first time I tried it didn't work either, I didn't know what the heck was going on, then I realized I hadn't quite pushed the mini-vga adaptor all the way in. if you dont push really hard, its stops a few millametres short of going all the way in and you you have to give it a little extra push and viola!!!!

Back