I messed up - ethernet configurations

swade

Registered
I think I have messed up the internal modem and ethernet configurations for my mac mini. Now in the Network status window the internal modem light is red and it says it is not set up. And the Ethernet connection is no longer there. This was the first time I have tried to link to the net and think I have messed things up a bit. Anyone know how I can reset the network preferences so I can try connecting again.

You use the Internal Modem to connect your computer directly to the phone socket. The ethernet connection is used to connect to a separate (broadband) modem which then connects to the phne socket.

Which are you trying to connect? You don't need both.

Which ISP are you using?

OK. You need the ethernet connection only.

Go to System Preferences. Choose "Network".

Location should be "Automatic"
Under that, in "Show" choose: "Network Port Configurations" from the pull down menu.

You need to tick the ethernet box and can untick the Internal Modem Box. And drag the ethernet line to the top (not necessary, but tidier).

Go back to the "Show" and choose the built in ethernet and then set up the TCP/IP page that shows to the "Use DHCP". The next page - PPoE tab should be all unticked. Then follow the ntl setup guide.

I did this for a friend on ntl a month or so back - can't remember the details, but she is still connected and running.

Back