I need an app that will let me lock my screen...

pipebomb

Registered
In Linux, I click the lock.
In Win2k, ctrl-alt-del, enter, enter.

How can I lock my OS X screen when I walk away from my system? I don't want to logout and close my apps.

I have been looking for a program that will allow me to simply click a dock icon and *boom* ; screensaver starts, requiring my l/p to get back in.

Anyone aware of anything that will allow this?

Also, since I'm begging <heh heh>, how about an app to control iTunes? A docklet with a popup control menu would be schweeet indeed.

I'm a Windows VB programmer, and I am buying RealBasic (the demo is very cool), so maybe I'll be able to do these myself one day soon. But for now, any ideas guys?

You can configure the built-in Mac OS X screensaver to require a password to get back into the system. Just open up System Preferences, click on Screen Saver, and click the Activation tab. Select 'require my password', and you're all set.

Originally posted by HECTORdaBIZATCH
You can configure the built-in Mac OS X screensaver to require a password to get back into the system. Just open up System Preferences, click on Screen Saver, and click the Activation tab. Select 'require my password', and you're all set.

Yes. I know that, and have it configured to do so...but, if I want to walk away and lock the screen, I can't. I have to log out or set the screensaver manualy to 5 minutes and wait to make sure it goes off.

:)

Go to the Hot Corners Tab in the Screen Saver Sys Pref and set hot corners!! I have mine set to activate in the bottom left corner. When I walk away I put my cursor all the way bottom-left and BAM! Screen saver starts immediately.

That do it for ya?

Originally posted by cybergoober
Go to the Hot Corners Tab in the Screen Saver Sys Pref and set hot corners!! I have mine set to activate in the bottom left corner. When I walk away I put my cursor all the way bottom-left and BAM! Screen saver starts immediately.

That do it for ya?

Hot corners do work; unfortunately, moving to a corner using a touchpad is harder than it sounds.
;-)

Seriously, just a dock icon with maybe a hotkey = sex!

Originally posted by pipebomb

…unfortunately, moving to a corner using a touchpad is harder than it sounds…

Never had a problem with that on my TiBook. But then I only use the Track Pad for moving the cursor, not for clicking and dragging. So a quick swipe down and to the left is all it takes.

I do agree that a hot key or Dockling would be nice. Although if you're already all the way down at the Dock… (that is if you keep your dock at the bottom)

Originally posted by pipebomb

Hot corners do work; unfortunately, moving to a corner using a touchpad is harder than it sounds.
;-)

oh boy. move the mouse to a corner or click an icon, both require equal work. the mouse to a corner is easier, i think. i just rub my hand over the trackpad in that corner's direction as i leave the mac.

Just add /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app to the Dock; clicking on it will launch the screensaver like any other application.

It's important to note that the timer-based screensaver doesn't check to see whether an instance is already running. So if, for example, you manually launch the screensaver, and five minutes later your normal screeensaver fires, they'll both be active. If they want a password, you'll need to type it twice to get back in.

You can, of course, just set the screensaver to never activate by itself, and invoke it only manually.

Originally posted by onan
Just add /System/Library/Frameworks/ScreenSaver.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ScreenSaverEngine.app to the Dock; clicking on it will launch the screensaver like any other application.

It's important to note that the timer-based screensaver doesn't check to see whether an instance is already running. So if, for example, you manually launch the screensaver, and five minutes later your normal screeensaver fires, they'll both be active. If they want a password, you'll need to type it twice to get back in.

You can, of course, just set the screensaver to never activate by itself, and invoke it only manually.

PERFECT!

The problem with the corner activation is due to a physical thing; not laziness.
This should work perfectly though, thanks!

Back