I simply want to convert .WMV to ANY OTHER FORMAT

Mischief[LTS]

Registered
heres the problem, its simple in black and white.

i have .wmv video files and i cant work with them, they suck, theyre slow.

i want to convert the files to any other format. quicktime .mov, or .mpg, or even .avi.

can someone please help? and no, i dont want to pay 1,000 dollars for a program. if there isnt an easy solution to this without paying a crapload of money, well i dont know what I have to say about that.

But, i need people who have actually used these programs and not just searched for them and gave the link out. Because ffmpeg doesnt work for me, i cant locate all the binaries because one is missing from all the upgrade downloads i try to get. (theres 3, but only 2 are supplied with the installer upgrade no matter where I go)

FF should work for you, you just need to work a bit longer installing the binaries. Try reading the read me and downloading each binary to your "Documents" folder.

I just don't understand why you wouldn't be able to use FF once you installed all the binaries properly...

Hello Mischief[LTS],

I use Flip4Mac which is a free download from Microsoft as they will no longer support or develop windows Media Player. These are QuickTime plugins that will allow you to play .wmv files in QuickTime as well as export the .wmv file to Self Contained QuickTime Movies. These plugins also provide browser support.

I use QuickTime pro and haven't tested on standard QuickTime. Check it out at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...4D-D747-4180-A400-5F06B1B5E559&displaylang=en

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

JustShady

you have to pay for the f4m plugin that will let you export to a qt editble format. as far as ff, i couldn't get it to work either, and thats after i found all the binaries. i only got a while video file with no sound for the corrct lenght, or choppy video with no sound. and that was following a how to online i found for the exact file conversion i was doing. so i gave up. i have had little to no luck in video format conversions in my life.:(

are there any other solutions? reelbeen does not even open wmv files for me, and flip4mac requires quicktime pro. something im not about to spend money on just for one simple feature. i thought it would be easier than this to get a video file converted sheesh. thx mac

Mischief[LTS] said:
are there any other solutions? reelbeen does not even open wmv files for me, and flip4mac requires quicktime pro. something im not about to spend money on just for one simple feature. i thought it would be easier than this to get a video file converted sheesh. thx mac

there is ff. email me @ edwardshin95@hotmail.com if u need help with installing it

ffmpegX can read WMV files, but it does not support WMV3, the most recent video codec used in WMV files. So for older WMV files, it's great. For newer WMV files, you'll need Flip4Mac.

A general rule of thumb is that if you can play the movie with either VLC or MPlayer, you can convert it to something else with ffmpegX.

Back