I thought I had a virus...

stella4star

Registered
Hello all,

I feel a little bit like I did when I was a kid; praying to God only when I needed something. I never knew this site existed, then BAM! a problem strikes on my Mac and I'm desperate for help.

I have a Dual 1.8 Ghz PowerPC G5, running on OSX Version 10.3.9. I've had smooth sailing (for the most part) for almost a year. That is until yesterday. All of the sudden, things start acting screwy: several applications asking for serials again, applications resetting to initial preference settings, desktop reverting to it's original settings.

I installed Norton AntiVirus and scanned my entire drive. It came back clean. Now I'm at a loss. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I'd be most appreciative!! :eek:

Hi stella4star, For as long as I've been here I've yet to see anyone recommend Norton products for the mac platform.Sorry.

Hiya Stella, it looks like something has messed up your Preferences folder. Do you have anything set up a bit different from a normal install? Or do you maybe have the FileVault security turned on (not that I've heard of issues like this from it)?

Are you getting any warnings or errors from anything, or is stuff just seemingly resetting by itself?

I didn't purchase it. I installed it, and ran a diagnostic, but it didn't find anything. If this is just some weird one time glitch, I'm cool with that. But if this IS something more serious, I'd like to be prepared...

Darkshadow said:
Hiya Stella, it looks like something has messed up your Preferences folder. Do you have anything set up a bit different from a normal install? Or do you maybe have the FileVault security turned on (not that I've heard of issues like this from it)?

Are you getting any warnings or errors from anything, or is stuff just seemingly resetting by itself?

I think everything is set the way it always has been. I did a search for FileVault, and I didn't see anything under that name. I'm not getting any warnings or errors. It just seemed like all of the sudden ALL my old preferences were wiped out and I'm starting new. The apps seem to be working fine, but even when I just launched photoshop, it was like launching it for the first time. Unlike my launch of Popcorn, though, it didn't ask for a serial again.

Back