iBook (dual-usb) cover creaks

cybowolf

Registered
Hi!

I just recently bought a new 500mhz iBook. It does something that I find really annoying. I know this will probably sound silly, but I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem (or feature as the case may be). When I pull up the display, it creaks something aweful, like something is too tight. I've fidgeted with it a bit, and can't seem to make it go away. Is this normal, or does it open all nice and smooth normally? If anyone has had this problem, were they able to solve it?

-cybowolf

Yeah, it happens to me all the time. Sometimes it sounds as if the display is gonna break off. I read somewhere that people has used WD-40 on the hinge and it helped greatly. It doesn't annoy me too much, so I haven't tried it.

-B

I think that's a feature. If you do it in a steady speed it shouldn't be that big of a problem. I'm guessing it has to be tight to stay in place.

Thanks guys! Glad to know I'm not the only one at least. I guess if its supposed to be that way, Apple has a good reason for it :)

-cybowolf

I have found that chain lube (for bikes) works the best. It comes in a little bottle for like $3.50 and you just squeeze a couple drops on the hinges. It lubes it really good and won't collect dirt and grime like WD-40.

Back