iBook keeps telling me to restart

simplemind7

Registered
i have a G3 ibook and it keeps having this recurring problem where, right after i start it up, the screen goes grey and a window pops up saying i need to restart and to hold the power button. i do that, and restart... it does it again. so i have now formatted and reinstalled os x and it did it once during the setup right after installation, when it was trying to detect my wireless network, but i restarted and did the setup without problems and i've now been using it for about a half hour and haven't had any problems, i'm just updating and installing programs i use and such.

any ideas as to what is going on?

This could be a hardware issue. Have you done any changes to your configuration recently, such as upgrading memory?

Your machine is crashing. It's called a kernel panic, and it is very unusual. Kernel panics are often caused by a hardware problem such as faulty RAM or USB hubs. I think Apple fixed the USB hub issues.

Please give us some more details. How much memory does your iBook have. How fast is it? What operating system are you running?

[You can get answers to these questions by clicking the Apple menu and clicking About This Mac.]

Doug

well i can't load it up to get to that, but i know its a 12" iBook, 700mhz G3, 60GB hard drive, its got the newest version of os x tiger (10.4.4 i believe), i can't remember how much ram it has, pretty sure it was 256 though, its got a cd burner/dvd rom drive, 2 usb ports, firewire, phone line and ethernet. anything else you need to know?

When i encountered this problem with a PB 15 I used the system disk to boot into the Disk Utility. I repaired permissions, and repaired the disk... after that i got into the system but it still ran slow and unstable i found out the person had less then 1GB of free space on their HD. After freeing up about 5 gigs the computer ran fine... Perhaps that may be your problem... i am interested to know if it works out.

with the original software cd's that came with the iBook, run the Apple Hardware Test as instructed.

there is something wrong with a major component in your iBook, causing Kernel Panics, which is the computer panicking because something beyond its control is going wrong. the severity of these problems is usually indicated by the frequency of the Kernel Panics.

Yeah, I agree that that's a good first step, Ayersa. I would want to try some new RAM, but I _think_ that 256MB DIMM isn't replaceable. Does anyone know for sure?

Be sure to disconnect everything from your machine before you start it up again.

It may possibly need service.

Doug

I heard that there was a problem with some iBooks logic boards going bad, and that apple will replace it for u you, so maby thats your problem there...

Lt Major Burns said:
with the original software cd's that came with the iBook, run the Apple Hardware Test as instructed.

hmm, i don't have the origional cds, would it be possible for me to download it from somewhere onto this computer (windows based PC) and burn it to a cd that i could put in the mac and try?

i found a way to check the memory using the os x dvd, and it has 384MB, says 128 built in and a 256 stick, SDRAM PC133U-333

so should i take out the extra ram and see if it still does it?

simplemind7 said:
i found a way to check the memory using the os x dvd, and it has 384MB, says 128 built in and a 256 stick, SDRAM PC133U-333

so should i take out the extra ram and see if it still does it?

Yep

simplemind7 said:
hmm, i don't have the origional cds, would it be possible for me to download it from somewhere onto this computer (windows based PC) and burn it to a cd that i could put in the mac and try?

you can't download these things, but as you mentioned later, the OSX disks were there ones i was on about, and have done the trick.

Back