iChat 2.1 and removing buddies?

nukethenick

Registered
Simple, I can't get the buddies I remove to stay gone.

The next time I start iChat, they return again, what can I do here?

That is weird. So you select the buddy, hit the delete key and say YES to removing him/her and they come back the next time you log in?
Or do you delete by another way?

Do you use a .mac or AIM account on ichat? :/

That's exactly how I do it.

I have an AIM account. I tried removing the buddy from the address book as well but that didn't work either.

My first thought was that, since the AIM service stores buddys on the server, iChat has to actually tell the server to remove the person but what I think is happening is that iChat removes the buddy from within the program only, without contacting the AIM server so next logon, the list is restored.

What I did was connect using the original AIM client and remove buddies from there, but !"##€ it doesn't work either.

Now I'm really stumped.

EDIT I just tested trashing all ichat preferences and restarting the program. I get the same old buddylist as always anyway. Very weird!

Giaguara said:
That is weird. So you select the buddy, hit the delete key and say YES to removing him/her and they come back the next time you log in?
Or do you delete by another way?

Do you use a .mac or AIM account on ichat? :/

remove the buddies in ichat buddy list. choose the buddy, hit delete key and answer YES for removing it.
you have to be connected to do it.
you don't have to touch your address book.

aim, yim, icq etc have problems when using with third party software. so e.g. proteus or fire allows you to ADD buddies but not to REMOVE them.
i have used ichat with a .mac account, very rarely with aim.
and with it the remove buddies works.

don't remove anything from address book. just log in ichat, and select all the buddies from your buddy list that you want to remove, and hit delete. that should do it.

Tried it, didn't work. It did however work just now when I installed AIM 4.7 and removed the buddies from that list. Then when I logged back on in iChat the buddies were gone.

I have no idea why that worked all of a sudden though.

Back