iChat help needed

cwoody222

Registered
How do I tell iChat not to log in me everytime I reconnect to the Internet?

I hate it that ppl automatically know I'm home because I turn on my computer and suddenly iChat tells the world that I'm back online.

up in the right angle you see a balloon .. left from time and right from apple script. choose from that what is your status. = OFFLINE. otherwise they see you are onlife. :D

Right, I know that.

But say my Mac is asleep. Then I wake it up. At this point I'm NOT connected to the Internet and therefore my iChat says I'm "offline". I then connect to the Internet.

Without doing anything to iChat, it automatically changes my status from "offline" to "available".

Related question: what do other's see when I'm "away". I usually keep mine set to "away" but that still doesn't stop ppl from IM'ing me when I don't want to be bothered.
(but I don't want to go to "offline" because then I can't see if anyone I DO want to talk to is on)

They see your away status. so using something like DO NOT DISTURB, I'M IN BAD MOOD, IM ME ONLY OVER YOUR DEAD BODY work well. hmm.. maybe ichat's plist could be modified to set the standard status = away. [but too sleepy to see at this hour if that plist has it as alternative.]

Look in your Login Items Preference Pane and see if it's listed. If so, remove it.

In the iChat Preferences, I'd disable "Show Status In Menubar", or at least ENABLE "When I Quit iChat Set My Status To Offline". Nowhere in iChat Prefs did I see an option about automatically reconnecting after being disconneced, so what I'd do is make sure iChat isn't running when I'm not in the mood to chat. Does the iChat application start by itself? I don't mean connect to the net by itself, but start-up by itself.

No, iChat itself isn't starting, just connecting to the Net.

I have DISabled "when I quit iChat, set status to Offline" because, like I said - I like to stay "away" just so I can see who's online but they can't necessarily see that I suddenly came online when I reconnect to the net.

Taking it out of the menubar might work; I'll try that.

If not, I guess there's no way to do it. I guess it figures if it's in the menubar and you re-connect you are automatically "available".

Back