iDisk

ghyde

CCNA, CCDA
Anyone know why, when opening iDisk, I keep getting a dialog box saying that my username or password are incorrect, and asking me if I want to open Network preferences?

You see, not only that, when I click yes to open network preferences, not only does the preferences open, but the iDisk mounts without any additional intervention.

Also, sometimes, out of nowhere, I get a WebDAV login box. If I select logon, I get Two iDisk (the same) mounted. The second is usually only visiable in the harddrive finder window (not on the desktop).

I use Goliath all the time. I switched when I started putting stuff on my iDisk, it would say it was copying, and wouldn't be there when it was done! Weird.

I saved a Goliath file that connects to my iDisk, put an iDisk icon on it and put it in my dock. very convenient.

Attachments

• macosx_pics.jpg
    macosx_pics.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 36
Same here, I can't connect to it using iDisk from within the finder toolbar.

I created a shortcut to afp://idisk.mac.com/ and put the iDisk icon on that.

Still I can't see why it's not accepting my username and password from the original button on the toolbar.

Does that in every version of OS X i tried as well...

Originally posted by ghyde
Quick question: what address do I enter in Goliath to get to my Mac iDisk?

Goliath uses the WebDAV protocol. Never tried afp with goliath, but this should work
http://idisk.mac.com/username

Originally posted by ghyde
Quick question: what address do I enter in Goliath to get to my Mac iDisk?
The easiest way - open Goliath, File menu --> Open iDisk Connection, put in your username and password, your iDisk will open. Now, go to File --> Save Connection As..., and save it where you'd like. Now all you have to do is click on that Goliath document to open your iDisk/iDisks.

If I recall... the actual fix for this problem is that you need to re-input your username and password in the System Preferences:Internet

There is an Apple Knowledge Base Article on this: #75120

Symptom

iTools will not function properly if the Internet System Preferences are not set up properly.

Products affected

Mac OS X 10.0

Solution

Mac OS X 10.0 contains several features that are tightly integrated with iTools, Apple's suite of Internet services. To use services such as iDisk access from the Finder, the Internet System Preferences need to be set up properly.

Configuring the Internet System Preferences

1. Open System Preferences.
2. Click Internet to reveal that pane.
3. Click the iTools tab to select it (unless it is already visible)
4. Enter your iTools user name and password.

I have never gotten that method to work for me. Both on mac or pc. Maybe if Neyo is reading this, he can reveal the secret to access itools via http protocol.

I just tried it here on my PeeCee and after inputting the proper url, I was then given a username/password dialog box. I entered my itools info and was quickly given a 404: file not found.

My only conclusion is that there is some setting missing that is not enabled by default.

Update:
I entered afp://idisk.mac.com/ and got the forever spinning ball.
I entered idisk.mac.com/ and was told that that server did not exist.

And yes, I am replacing username with My username. (Hey, I've worked tech support! <G>)

In Gloiath I enter: http://idisk.mac.com/cybergoober then I enter my username and password in the fields provided.

Never saw Open iDisk connection option before. That seems to be the easiest.

Back