iDrive

chevy

Marvelous Da Vinci
Staff member
Mod
I want to be able to plug an iPod in my car stereo ! No more CDs in my car, just an iPod that carries my favorite songs.

And no plug, just BlueTooth.

I step in the car, the stereo recognizes the iPod, and starts playing songs from my "car favorite" playlist.

Thanks but I'm afraid it's forbidden in Switzerland. (Is it legal anywhere to broadcast music on the FM band without any license ?).

The cassette one is probably legal, but not fun: too many cables.

I believe US satellite radio gets to your car via a special antenna but then transmits the sound thru an FM station you tune into.

I don't *think* it's one special station that the satellite company licences - I think it's whatever blank station you set it for.

Small FM transmitters are actually quite legal here in the United States. They can be found at radio shack. It only sends the signal a couple of feet (don't care to know what a meter is since this is America) but the only problem is that any station broadcasting on the same signal can easily over power the one you are sending the signal over. That is why they say go lower on the FM band but even then it is very shotty and lots of static on the cheaper versions.

I was researching a home FM transmiter (1-2 mile range) I found out was that this class of device (not the ones I was looking at, but the ones being discussed here) *must* do nothing to prevent interference from another signal.

bottom line is that the FCC regulation makes these devices virtually useless near any metro areas.

maybe by directly connecting it to the car radio antenna input... you can get enough signal without too much radiation.

I also looked into splicing something into the antenna feed. You can get these kits that come with a switch that gets mounted on the dash. If you throw the switch one way, you get the radio antenna. throw the switch the other way and you get a line feed (which also mounts in the dash). I saw people talking about these kits, but could never find a place that sold them.

if you have a HU with RCA jacks, you're set. if not, you can intercept the feed that would connect it to a CD player to connect to the ipod. those kinds of adapters are about $120, though =(.

Ok. stop making it too complicated. either, a) get a Stereo Jack - RCA converter, b) get one of the MANY MP3 CD decks around now, or if you're an extremist and have the money, get a Kenwood deck that supports CD-TEXT and then get their 'Music Keg' (??) it's a 20 gig hard drive which plugs in, and acts like a stacker. If you seriously go and buy an FM transmitter to listen to music from an iPod, i think you've got problems buddy.

Pemgu.

why? the FM transmitters are a nice little idea. easy and wireless. only problem i have with it is that it needs a battery of its own...

why can't car audio makers just include a minijack input? :/

I like this one !

Why wouldn't Apple make the whole car ? Maybe Steve will do better than Nicolas ?

the most elegant thing would be for pioneer or sony or someone to make a HU with a firewire plug with the ipod specifically in mind. i know i'd buy it immediately.

Back