if indeed 64, apple needs to brag

whitesaint

cocoa love
When we see PowerPC-64 it will prolly be so much faster than the pentium IV, i think apple needs to advertise it strongly to get the fact out that, now Macs are faster. Man, its like Steve Jobs was born for this..

What? :confused: Hmm...

I thought the G4 was already 64 bit. Is that what you're talking about?

Actually im talkin about the new IBM PowerPC 970 that is a 64 bit microprocessor with the 128 bit vector execution unit on it. I would expect one of these processors to beat a P4 (HT?) and dual confgurations would definitely have to beat it in terms of performance.

The G4 is more of a 32 bit processor with the 128 vector unit..

Originally posted by whitesaint
Actually im talkin about the new IBM PowerPC 970 that is a 64 bit microprocessor with the 128 bit vector execution unit on it. I would expect one of these processors to beat a P4 (HT?) and dual confgurations would definitely have to beat it in terms of performance.

The G4 is more of a 32 bit processor with the 128 vector unit..

Ok - one last time - 64 bits does not in itself mean better performance in 99% of all programs - the last 1% or so being large databases, some encryption routines and similar programs. 64 bits does mean the ability to address more memory, above 4 gigs of RAM though. Plus, the architechture of the 970 is much better than that of the G4 - supposedly the top model is about on par with the 3,06 GHz P4 - although we haven't seen any benchmarks yet.

Regards / GulGnu

-Stabil som fan!

Apple should still brag. Apple also bragged about their Supercomputer, although only the AltiVec engine allowed them to do that, which isn't used in most cases.

However: 64bit computing DOES turn heads, and Apple _should_ start bragging if they bring them out, as Windows is not 'there' yet on 64bit desktop computers...

Most people don't understand how processors work, anyway. They don't get anything beyond MHz/GHz. You hear them say they have 512 MHz of RAM (;-)). You don't REALLY expect them to get the 32/64bit thing, do you? Let's brag about it. Intel said their Pentiums made the internet faster (sic!)...

true, you can say that 64 bit is twice as good* and nobody will notice the little astrix. Sure the geeks will discuss it in their forums but when joe consumer goes to buy a computer he/she will fall down trying to sign the credit slip fast enough. It's called marketing and Apple has every right to do it.

I expect Apple to brag about the whole "new" techs for new Macs but in the end I would like to see (I hope) that Steve will brag about availability of 64 bit software other than Panther of course... Like FCP and Express, DVD Studio, Photoshop, Shake, iLife, etc. :p :D ;)

:)

Back