iLife 2004 installation problem

ManosLondonUK

Registered
Hi all.

I am experiencing problems installing iLife 2004 which came with my G4 iMac. I try to install it from the DVD as I want to use GarageBand but I get the following message:

iLife cannot be installed on this computer.

This installation cannot proceed because one of the following applications is running:
GarageBand
iTunes
iPhoto
iMovie
iDVD

Please quit these apps before installation.

----

However, none of these applications are running. I even tried doing a safe boot but to no avail.

Please share your wisdom with me.

Many thanks

Manos

Open Terminal and run top. See if there's anything suspicious running. You may have some sort of plugin running for one of these programs. If you see something suspicious, write down the PID number for the process, hit Control-C to close top, and type sudo kill # (and replace # with the PID).

Problem has been solved guys! It was all down to an iTunes controller application that was running in the background! Once I quit it, the installer run without any problems.

Many thanks for your responses, much appreciated!

All the best

Manos

I had the same problem. In my case it was an iTunesHelper process running in the background

I even rebooted before running the iLife 4.0 installer and iTunesHelper was running anyway. Odd that it would be running without my having launched iTunes, and odd that iLife would be confused by that.

Anyway, thanks for the tip.

-- Prentiss Riddle http://prentissriddle.com

If you installed iTunes 4.7.1 and try to then install or reinstall iLife '04, you'll get an alert indicating that an iLife application is still running even if you have already quit iTunes, GarageBand, iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD.

This happens because the iLife Installer is seeing a background program called "iTuneshelper," and is mistaking it for iTunes. To workaround the issue, bypass the login items by following these steps:
1. From the Apple menu, choose Log Out.
2. Log back in and immediately hold the Shift key down. Release the Shift key when you get to the Finder. This will keep iTuneshelper from loading.
3. Install iLife '04.
4. Restart the computer to allow the login items to load again.

i cant open or install any of the files from ilife because it does not recognize what program created it. how do i install it?

uhm.. you need os x to install ilife on it. and if you have ilife 04, that definitely needs / needed a ppc processor version of os x on it.

Back