iMac G3 won't see Vista printer

stargazer418

Registered
I have an iMac G3 700 MHz and I am trying to get it to print to a printer connected by USB to a Windows Vista laptop. The printer is an HP Deskjet D4200 series. If I add it the normal way, when I print to it, the Mac will process it for a few seconds and then stop the print job. :confused: Please help!

You cannot used a shared USB printer from a windows machine via the mac. You will need to use GIMPrint (which sets up a UNIX print driver) to access the shared resource from the Windows machine. Google Gimprint for instructions. Also keep in mind you will have to play around with the drivers because they may not have the exact printer model.

I believe the name has changed to Gutenprint. Should still give you the same site though.

well first off its free so it really would make sense if all the drivers are there but they do have a lot and it keeps adding progressively. There may not be much of an option for you quite frankly. Here's my input

1. Purchase an airport express add it to your network then you can print from it wirelessly
2. Does the printer work when you plug it in directly?provided the install the drivers for it to your iMac G3. Check that first

Have you checked HP's website to see if they have Mac OS X drivers? Even though you don't have thge printer physically connected to the Mac, you should be able to install the drivers for that printer so that your Mac can use it when accessing that printer being shared from the Windows PC.

http://openprinting.org/driver_list.cgi
... Even though you don't have thge printer physically connected to the Mac, you should be able to install the drivers for that printer so that your Mac can use it when accessing that printer being shared from the Windows PC.
Your are confused. HP-supplied print drivers for USB printers can be used for printers connected directly to a Mac or for printers shared among Macs. HP print drivers for MacOS X cannot be used for printers connected to Windows computers. In this case, a CUPS drivers is required. Gutenprint supplies CUPS drivers for a small subset of available printers. The Linux Foundation's OpenPrinting project supplies many more. The OP may find the CUPS driver for his HP DeskJet D4200 on the OpenPrinting website.

Back