iMac G5 first pics of unpacking and disassembling

Yes, but well: Doesn't that just mean that _his_ warranty is lost? What do WE care, we just want the juicy pictures!

Viro said:
That still doesn't answer whether it voids the warranty. I know most computer makers have a clause that says your warranty is void if you open the case. Ridiculous, but I think it is enforced.

if you are not specificly instructed by apple or apple care to open it .. you shouldn't. My case is different, as we will have a few iMacs to take apart // well, taken apart so far only the G4 iMacs, but I know what are in the guts of the new one anyway.. :p :rolleyes:

The reason I'm asking is because I'm dying to rip apart my Powerbook and put in one of these new 5400 RPM 100 GB drives :)

Guess I'll just wait a year before the warranty runs out and the prices of the drives comes down.

Opening your Powerbook will void your warranty. Guaranteed. If they can detect you did it.

Doug

If I put in a 100 GB hard drive, you can bet they'l detect it :)

Guess I'll be waiting a year then.

Viro said:
Doesn't this void the warranty somehow?

I don't think that would happen with the new iMac, 'cause what if you want to add memory..?

I guess you must have to open the rear case anyhow... no warranty problems possible!!! hahahaha!!!! :eek:

Me too. The current one goes on sale tomorrow, just gotta move everything off onto mobile storage.

There's no chance the new iMacs will allow a 250GB IDE drive, right? SATA only?

Does it void the warranty?

No it doesn't, in contrary you are supposed to take the imac appart to upgrade it. Thats what an european Apple spokesman said to the reporters of an german computer magazine ("c't" is the name of the magazine)

You are allowed to replace RAM, HD and the wireless lan card, even the display (if you are skilled enough) without voiding your warranty.

Ripcord said:
There's no chance the new iMacs will allow a 250GB IDE drive, right? SATA only?

If you have a look at Apple's Developer Notes for the iMac G5, you'll see that there is an IDE connection for the optical drive, and that the educational model iMac which has no optical drive uses an IDE connection for HDD.
However, whether you'll be able to connect an additional IDE device is doubtful. Running another IDE cable from the Optical drive, without overheating the system, would be likely to be difficult.

I'd just trade it in on a SATA drive, or get an external Firewire enclosure and tuck it away behind your desk, out of sight.

probably not, apple must expect people to install extra ram.... and stuff

anybody notice how its a laptop with no battery?

A Laptop-it-Ain't, Snark. Check out the dimensions and weight, the power consumption, etc. This really is a very hefty desktop PC that just happens to be smartly presented.

The enclosure of the G5 CPU has been sealed with some sort of plastic seal. If you breake it (which you have to do, in order to exchange it) the warranty is voided.

Not true. According to Apple's support documentation for the iMac G5, the motherboard is user replacable, as is the hard drive, optical drive, and even the display.
Yes, the CPU is integrated into the motherboard, but if you're willing to source a faster g5 imac motheroard in another couple of years, there is nothing to stop you from doing so... but then, that's not really what iMacs are about.

symphonix said:
I'd just trade it in on a SATA drive, or get an external Firewire enclosure and tuck it away behind your desk, out of sight.

Ok, thanks for the info Symphonix.

However, I can't remember the last time Microcenter took HD "trade-ins" =)

Back