imac G5 keeps going to sleep

ajmax

Registered
Can someone please shed some light?
I have an imac G5 20". it was one of the first that came out last year.
It keeps on going to sleep unexpectedly. I will manually wake it, but it goes back to sleep in 5 to 10 seconds. I have taken it to the apple genius guys 3 to 4 times they say it is a software problem. the last solution they told me was to create another account and see if the problem persists. if it does,(which it did) to go ahead and erase and reinstall the operating system...
I did that today and i am still having the exact same problem...
The times i have taken it in to the store, the computer works fine and they can not replicate the problem...
Let me also add that the fans are constantly blowing pretty loudly.
i have read on this and other forums about there being a temperature and an internet problem related to this but I still have these 2 problems without being connected to the internet and the machine being cool. As soon as i turn on my machine, ( if it stays awake) the fans blow. Even if the machine has been off all night...
Could this be a capacitors problem? having them replace the logic board?
the last time i took into the store they looked at the capacitors and they told me the were all right... and they didn't need to be replaced....
are they just waiting for my warranty to be up so i can pay for what i need???
I have colleges who had similar problems that i am having and they had there logic boards replaced...
Since i reinstalled my OS it can't be a software problem????? or can it??????

Regards,
ajmax

Apple were not able to reproduce the problem?
Do you maybe have some other devices hooked
up that you did not take to the shop with you,
or several devices connected on the same AC
outlet? If yes, I would try running the machine
with all other devices disconnected, and maybe
put it into an AC outlet in another room.

Since you re-installed the OS, it is very unlike-
ly that this is a software problem.

I would not worry about the warranty expiring.
Send Apple a letter - by registered mail - sta-
ting that you have been experiencing this pro-
blem for a while, that the Apple "Genius" was
not able to help, and that you expect some
sort of solution, even after the warranty has
run out. Also demand a reply from them. Ma-
ybe even threaten to sue them (not a practice
I personally like, but some companies do not
understand other lingo - unfortunately...)

patrice
http://www.silverknuckle.com
http://www.tattoo-source.com
http://patrice.wordpress.com

Thank you for the heads up on my problem.
This still happens with nothing else is hooked up to the machine and i did draw AC power from another problem...
I like the idea of a stern letter to the company, but is there something that can be done right now ????
I'll be visiting the apple guys today, what can i tell them?????

Thanks,
ajmax

Check the voltage at your outlet, make sure it's what it's supposed to be. Low power may cause this.

I have the machine plugged into the wall directly and i tried it in another outlet....all standard 110 outlets at 15 amps
and it was still doing it...
ajmax

You may have standard 110v outlets, but have you checked the actual voltage at the outlets with a voltage meter?

I have not used a meter to measure the exact voltage....
I did take my machine into the store, they said that the power supply could be causing this... if not that maybe the logic board....
If that is the case, could be the same as low voltage from the outlet?
and how does the logic board fit into this???
Your thoughts.....
ajmax

I ask about the exact voltage in your outlets because it works fine at the Apple store. Could be the power supply or logic board, but I would check your voltage first. If you have low power, you have a problem at home.

I just got my machine back rom apple.
they replaced the power supply and replaced the logic board.
That has cleared up my problem the machine does not got to sleep and the fans are not blowing fast!!!!
I can barely hear them at all.......
ajmax

Back