iMac making lots of noise after clean installing Tiger

freaky

OSXer
I just did a clean install of Tiger and everything's fine on my PowerBook but my iMac is making a lot of noise (on the hard drive) like it's doing something intensive. I've tried restarting it twice and it still does it right after the desktop is displayed without opening any programs. I checked the process list and ATSServer is the only thing that takes up a lot of CPU and it jumps from 15 up to 66%. I tried killing it but it keeps starting up.

This noise is driving me insane and it is right next to my workstation and I wish I could turn it off but I use it as a file server so I can't. :( Any idea how to fix this?

It is possible that the "problem" is Spotlight indexing your drive. But, that process should stop pretty quickly. I am not sure if ATSServer is related to Spotlight though.

I also think it may be spotlight indexing files. Depending on the size of the hard drive it should stop after a while. Bigger drives take longer.

Spotlight indexing is done by the "mdimport" process. ATSServer is the process that manages fonts and makes them availale to applications. I'm not sure exactly what it's doing, but I think, based on previous reports, that it will go back to normal after a while.

Back