iMac Memory

Madelin

Registered
IM looking to upgrade my iMac RAM. Ive found this cheap stick http://www.savastore.com//productin...4815FE76390CF4A0965A690A5A5B937&affId=1018132

and was wondering if it would work in my iMac. I have 2x512 in it already from apple and was wondering if i replaced one with a stick from the link whether it would work? The one i linked to is DDR2 and 800mhz. The 512 in my iMac at the moment is DDR2 at 667mhz. Is this an issue?

Summary: will the stick of ram in the link work with one of the 512MB sticks already in my Mac?

Cheers

I don't really know, but I have some questions:
Why is it so cheap? If it will work, get two. I notice at that same site, you can get the correct spec memory from Aries for twice the cost. Again, why is the OCZ memory so cheap?
It's 800 MHz memory, and your iMac will throttle it down to 667 MHz so it can use it. Will the OCZ memory allow that? OR, is that why it's so cheap, because it REQUIRES an 800 MHz memory bus?
Will the heat spreader on that chip allow the memory to even install in your iMac? I haven't tried that type of physical memory.

Maybe someone else will chime in with real experience with 800 MHz memory in an iMac....

Yeah becuase this is an awsome deal if it works fine. Imagine 2GB for ~£50. i could probs go on to sell the 2x512MB for more than £50 so ill earn money from upgrading.

The main thing that concerns me is the heat spreader on that chip. It makes that chip thicker, and it might not physically fit in the slot. Again, I have no chip like that one to try. The iMac memory slots do have limited physical access.
Buy if you like - make sure they have an easy return policy if the memory won't fit in the slot.

Ive emailed savastore asking about its compatibility in a new iMac. Ill C&P the reply here.

Applecare:
You can use small-outline dual inline memory modules (SO-DIMMS) of 512 MB or 1 GB that meet all of these criteria:

PC2-5300
unbuffered
nonparity
200-pin
667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Back