iMac sees network but can't connect

LarryMcJ

Registered
First of all...no new software or hardware and everything worked fine until today. Now, my iMac sees my MacBook Pro and one Windows machine on my peer network (AirPort Extreme 802.11n) but it can only mount and browse the Windows Machine.

When I try to browse the MacBook Pro I get a dialog box named "AFP Connection Status" and inside is "Looking up xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, which I assume is the DHCP IP address for the MacBook Pro. This simply keeps trying forever...never finding the MacBook Pro.

On the MacBook Pro I can mount and browse the iMac just fine, so connectivity isn't the issue. Only from the iMac can I not mount or browse the MacBook Pro...but I could, until today.

Thanks for any help.

LarryMcJ

Verify in the system preferences of the MBP that the ip address hasn't changed.
You could also connect to it with it's bonjour name.
So nothing has been changed in system preferences for sharing and network, and you were able to connect to it before?

As I said in the initial post...the iMac says it's searching for an IP address that is not even close to the IP address the MBP has always had (it's never changed). Now the MBP "name" is not showing at all in Finder under Network...this is absolutely insane. "EVERYTHING" is visible on the network on all machines except the iMac. When I open the Network in Finder on the iMac everything shows up except the MBP.

Yes...this has just started happening for no apparent reason.

LarryMcJ

Yes...this has just started happening for no apparent reason.

If you do not connect to a router for some time, the next time you connect, you very well might get a different ip-number. This could happen overnight although in general a router will give the same ip to the same computer (mac address).

Please specify the ip-numbers to clarify those.

Good luck, Kees

Back