iMac Update

Quietly

Maybe
Hail to the wise and wonderful (howdy to the rest of you!)

I'm about to start Uni and am looking at buying one of the beautiful new G5 iMacs for my video editing needs. Thing is, I won't actually need it for around 4 months and can happily live with my old and reliable G3.

Based upon experience, how long is it likely to be before Apple do an upgrade to the new range, and what upgrades are likely (I'm assuming speed bump, maybe an 8x Superdrive???).

I'd really like to be as up to date as possible when it comes round to needing it, so don't want to rush out and buy one now only to see it superceded just when I'll find the extra features useful.

The new iMac G5s JUST came out. You're right at the top of the curve right now, so if you want the "best and greatest", now's the time to buy, just after a release/update.

Don't expect a new update for quite some time.

If you want to keep waiting, perhaps there will be an update in 6 months. But then, of course, there may be another update 6 months afterwards.

If you need a new iMac G5 now, get it now, there's no good reason to wait.

However, he said he doesn't need it for another 4 months. Which puts you into the sore spot... I'd buy now or in six months...

Yep -- if they happen to bump the G5 iMacs to 2.0GHz in 6 months, that'll save you approximately 4 seconds on a render project that normally took 12 minutes. Is it worth waiting? ;)

If you do plan to use the iMac for video editing, though, I would highly suggest putting at least 512MB of RAM in there... 1GB would be even better. The stock 256MB just won't cut it for video editing.

Well, I just know how I am. I don't like to buy at the end of the product's cycle... And the very existence of this thread shows me that Quietly might be similar to me in that aspect. No, the 0.2 GHz won't be that impressive. The bus speed won't make that much a difference, either. Neither will the slightly better graphics card or the newer SuperDrive. And surely you can always replace the harddrive with a bigger one, too. And the quirks of a first generation iMac G5 can be cured, because they're fixed under warranty, right? ;-)

Here is what I might get in a month or so.

iMac 1.8GHz w/20" TFT Z096 1 $2,224.00 $2,224.00
SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW) 065-4705
1GB DDR400 SDRAM - 2 DIMMs 065-4715
Keyboard and Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English 065-4696
Accessory kit 065-4979
Power Supply 065-5257
250GB Serial ATA drive 065-4720

Arkayn - Decided against all the wireless accessories? You may want to consider getting the 1x512MB RAM and purchasing high quality RAM from a 3rd party. I usually use Crucial and have had great experiences with their product. Right now, Crucial sells the 512MB DIMMs for $99.99 and shipping is free. Apple appears to be charging about $150 for the same stick of memory. Just an FYI....

Quietly - I'd buy now. True, they may update the line in six months, but there's not guarantee that it will ship then. Also, consider that they were unable to improve the graphics support due to cooling constraints. I have a feeling it may be a longer product cycle for these iMacs. I would anticipate that the line would keep strong sales into Q1 2005. I could see this product having an announced update around April/May, right when school lets out. For educational institutions, that's when the fiscal year begins and the main purchasing takes place, so that all the new technologies are set up over the summer in time for the begin of the next school year.

Edu customers will feel more confident in their purchase if they know Apple won't be upgrading during those summer months, when the machine really aren't even being used yet. So, I'd say the announcement will be around May with the machines shipping in volume mid June, giving institutions enough time to plan on their new purchases, but not waiting so long that it'll be rushed to get it ready for student use.

Yeah 4 months doesn't sound too likely for a new iMac revision but if you can wait 6 months you may have something with less issues, since its not the first revision....I couldn't wait.

I agree Weezer. I've been holding out for the PowerMac and this machine's price point for performance and screen real-estate made it entirely possible for me. If this line of product offers you everything you need, I'd say go for it. Compared to the G3 you are currently using, it should be a large upgrade and you could be enjoying the added performance in your pro-apps.

If you know you must have this machine in four months, I'd take it now. You'll have time to get all of your apps set up and be sure that the machine is in tip top shape. Besides, four months won't give you an iMac revision, though, you never know with Apple. ;)

What I'm currently looking at is this:

20" 1.8GHz iMac G5
250GB Serial ATA
1GB SDRAM
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
with
Production Suite

The reason for buying Production Suite is that it is actually cheaper than buying Final Cut Express and DVD Studio Pro, because DVD Studio Pro is not available at an Education discount. Anyone any ideas how well Final Cut Pro HD and Motion will run on an iMac? As far as I'm aware it meets all minimum requirements for the software, although I'm not buying enough memory for real-time effects in Motion.

I guess another point I should have mentioned is that I'm likely to wait until Tiger is launched anyway.

In 6 months you may see a 2.0 Ghz proc in the iMac, I would argue if you have time to wait and you want to be on the bleeding edge than wait. Your investment will just go a little further if you do. If you get a gig are you going to get it in the form of one dimm. That would definetly be you may want to do in case you do decide to use motion later one you'll always have the option of upgrading.

Quietly said:
What I'm currently looking at is this:

20" 1.8GHz iMac G5
250GB Serial ATA
1GB SDRAM
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
with
Production Suite

The reason for buying Production Suite is that it is actually cheaper than buying Final Cut Express and DVD Studio Pro, because DVD Studio Pro is not available at an Education discount. Anyone any ideas how well Final Cut Pro HD and Motion will run on an iMac? As far as I'm aware it meets all minimum requirements for the software, although I'm not buying enough memory for real-time effects in Motion.

I guess another point I should have mentioned is that I'm likely to wait until Tiger is launched anyway.

Well, this is a little different. The first thing you must ask yourself is, would you trade a second 1.8GHz chip for the 20" display?

The second part is your timeframe. You originally said four months time, but Tiger is much further out than four months. If your trying to balance an iMac update and Tiger, those are two large variables! :) If you get edu pricing, you'll get Tiger at a good discount anyway. Ask around, you'll find out first hand that Tiger is only in Alpha builds and has been slated for 2005. I suggested in another thread that Tiger will be GM'ed at WWDC 2005, the same day the PowerBook G5 is released (since someone else mentioned it earlier ;) ).

If you are waiting for Tiger, I'd wait for PowerBook G5 as well. Then your entire work station can be mobile. I'd guess the price of LCDs will be lower then as well, so you can have a nice setup with dual displays, not just mirroring. Keep in mind, that's around nine months out still...

Having looked a bit more closely I've decided I'll probably buy it with 256MB memory then get a 1GB module from Crucial. Doesn't cost much more, gives me a little bit extra in terms of memory and then the option to get another 1GB module further down the line.

Still not sure I should buy before Christmas though. Even if Tiger is some way off, at least if I leave it till Jan then I'm more likely to be able to get it upgraded on the up-to-date thingie with minimal cost.

Also that way I can see if any of you are having problems with your new iMacs! Also, I guess it's possible that some of the software may get updated in the meantime. Maybe.

Quietly said:
Having looked a bit more closely I've decided I'll probably buy it with 256MB memory then get a 1GB module from Crucial. Doesn't cost much more, gives me a little bit extra in terms of memory and then the option to get another 1GB module further down the line.

Still not sure I should buy before Christmas though. Even if Tiger is some way off, at least if I leave it till Jan then I'm more likely to be able to get it upgraded on the up-to-date thingie with minimal cost.

Also that way I can see if any of you are having problems with your new iMacs! Also, I guess it's possible that some of the software may get updated in the meantime. Maybe.

This sounds like the wisest decision, no reason to hasten a decision that need not be.

Ye if you can I would wait till Jan and MW 05 I mean they can;'t sell iLife '04 for ever can they ;) at least then you would be getting upgraded software (if they do indeed update it) I think weel see an updated imac with 2.0 Ghz and some other wtuff in Feb/ March time

But that's the real question...

Ok, no updates in January...will you be able to still purchase your machine confidently? Or will you think that a new update is right around the corner and wait?

Personally, I don't think Apple will update their iMac in January. They'd either do it before the holidays, which isn't too likely at the rate their selling, or they'll wait until a few (4+) after the December holiday season, so they don't irritate all the new switchers by making a better machine for the same cash so soon. Also, I believe you have 30 days to price match with Apple, or return, so anyone who purchased late in December could call that in well into January. This is important being that if they do release a 2.0GHz machine, the 1.8GHz drops a few hundred dollars in price, which means smart consumers can claim a nice return from Apple.

This question comes up a lot. The answer is that the computer industry goes so fast you will ALWAYS be left behind within 1-2 years no matter what you buy. That's what drives the industry, and capitalism itself--innovation drives sales.

So, I would say get a computer you can upgrade as you acquire the funds or interview someone doing the work you do in order to see what the industry pros are using for what you want to do. Here at my client's company the video department uses G5 towers and the full compliment of RAM and processor speed, but they use intense 3D apps like Maya. Your needs may be less so you could start with a little less in the beginning.

Just know whatever you pick, it's inevitable that it will become obsolete at some point; just don't let it limit your decision but empower you to make one. :)

How much life did you say that you wanted out of it? This Biege I'm using right now has to be 7 or 8 years old but it runs like a champ...well not for photo or video editing but hey it runs safari alright.

I don't think the longevity of an iMac will be increased that much in one revision. Again, not to beat on the PowerBook, but can we really expect Apple to ship a PowerBook G5 at 1.8GHz G5 if the iMac is speeding along at 2.2GHz or such?

Either way, the difference between a 1.8GHz iMac and a 2.0GHz iMac will be small. Very small.

Now, the difference between paying $3000.00 for a Dual 2.5GHz G5 PowerMac and $1300 for a 20" display and paying $3000.00 for a Dual 3.0GHz G5 with whatever improvements they make in that huge case and possibly $1000 for the 20" display is a considerable one. :)

Back