imac

just4funuk

Registered
Been using a power Mac 7100 with G3 accelerator and Just got hold of an Imac original version B thats not working (cheap).

What it does

On power up machine power button is red imac then makes a bong noise and then as power button turns green imac powers down like protection on monitor has kicked in due to fault.On display side has anyone seen heard of this type of fault before and are there any common faults on the Imac Rev A/B monitor.

Any pointers would be great a schematic would be even better if anyone has one.

Thanks

Thanks

I'm guessing, but it's possible that the PMU battery has died. It's just a matter of replacing that battery and you should be good to go, so long as it's not anything else.

The PMU battery could be dead, but, on the iMac, does not affect startup at all. More than likely, the analog/video board is bad. That provides the high-voltage for the CRT, and this 'power off when the video tries to turn on' is pretty common, and has been since the first iMacs were new. Sometimes requires replacing multiple parts, but the analog/video board is the usual culprit.
If you want to try a repair, find a place that will sell you an analog/video board that has been tested (and not simply removed from a system). This will be complicated by the fact that there's 2 versions of that board, and you have to get the correct one.

Thank you for the help after looking around the internet have found it is possible to remove the video cable from the back of the Imac mortherboard. Then connect an external monitor this then stops the internal monitor trying to startup.

So Imac is now working on external monitor need now to source Video board another common problem is the Line Output transformer on the First version of the Imac which fails due to poor ventilation.

Thanks for any advice with the above machine.Has been replaced now by machine below.

Got imac G4 800mhz 15" cheap due to DVD/CD Drive Failure and have now moved to this machine working pretty good after I replaced DVD/Cdrom drive and upgraded SDram.

Your right there is just that something about the imac G4 range.Never thought I would own one.Not Keen on the imac G5 range looks though.But does look great sitting on desk at home next to XBox 360. MS looking at Apple again to get its idea from .(so whats different).

Back