Images failed to mount, error 536870208

Will_Richo

Green & Growing
Hello. I am looking for some help on the above message i get when i try to add ANY software i download. Example is my (IM) msn 4 stopped working, so i downloaded a new copy but everytime i did so the download Manager said the image could not be mounted after the download ended? I have tried this on a few things just to check it is not the dmg.

I have just converted to Mac from PC. Sorry if this is a simple thing to ask, but my knowledge is very poor. Thanks for your patience. ;)

Regards

Will.

Hi Bob, thanks for the quick reply. I have tried the following so far with no luck.
Restart and cold start
Repairing permissions
Mounting the dmg from the disk mount manager in the system
I forgot to say i use a G4 Titanium powerbook with osx 10.3.5, if that helps, i upgraded from osx 9 about 6 weeks ago, all was well until this happens!!

I have looked at the threads posted, allot of it is above my head. But i seem to have done some of it. Got lost on the plist geekspeak bit...lol..

The fun continues!!

first off: welcome to the forum!
next thing: never ever upgrade your os. (or did you mean you had os9 before and now you are on a fresh 10.3.5 installation?).
last thing: try to setup a new useraccount and check your image file on that account. If they work, then your problem lies on some faulty preferences in the plist files.
Good luck!

Zammy-Sam said:
first off: welcome to the forum!
next thing: never ever upgrade your os. (or did you mean you had os9 before and now you are on a fresh 10.3.5 installation?).
last thing: try to setup a new useraccount and check your image file on that account. If they work, then your problem lies on some faulty preferences in the plist files.
Good luck!

Hi Zammy-Sam. Thanks for the hint ref upgrading. Wish i had joined the forum earlier. I did upgrade, but i may have got my numbers mixed up, as i have said MAC is new to me, but i want to learn. I was on a very low osx that would not run msn messenger 4 etc, so i purchased 10.3.5 and as instructed on e-mail by Apple they said follow the cues to upgrade install, which i did. I have had NO problems, the machine is a dream. Or was until now. I have 3 users on at present, i have tried to mount in all 3 with no success, i will now try to make a new one and see if that works as you have suggested. If it does, whats the best POA to resolve the plist? or do i need to back up my docs and delete the users? and start with new ones?

Thanks for the reply, i appreciate your time. ;)

Will

If it lies on those plists, then I would rather suggest you to migrate to the new account. It's less painful than checking each applications preferences. However, you mentioned you have 3 accounts which have the same issue. That reduced the chance that the problem lies on plist files. In worst case you might be forced to reinstall or recover your system with the installation DVD/CD.. Hope you won't get that far.

I have tried the new user and as you guessed. It did not work. I have a copy of all docs i need. Can you tell me how i reformat? Also will i loose all my programmes, like Word excell etc? Thanks :rolleyes:

Seems to have worked. However, whilst running the second install disc the mac said it could not complete and i havd to quit? Now Safari will not run!!!

But i can mount now! LOL. :confused:

Yeah, tried but now spits the d1 out? i installed all the components on disc 2. But still does not make safari run??? Is there a way of de-install & re-installing safari?

UPDATE

All systems now OK. Downloaded updates from apple, and hey presto safari works again.

Huge thanks to you both. :D

My ventures with the Powerbook now continue. ::alien::

Regards

Will.

Hi ! Running 10.3.8, experienced it, tried everything that was posted, did not work, until I found Alexis solution about Modem installations on http://forum.vnunet.fr/cgi-bin/vnunet/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=8&t=003453 Thanks : in my case it worked !

It's now obvious there are different reasons that leads to the -536870208 error as you can imagine, and may be the previous proposals in this forum have worked for you. For the European lads who recently installed Bewan or Thomson or Sagem ADSL USB modem drivers, one of these 3 corrupts something somewhere. I recently installed them and experienced the dmg problem immediately.

By using the Bewan uninstaller it solves the -536870208 problem at the next boot. BUT, you can't reconnect as the Bewan deinstaller removes enough to prevent using, say, the Thomson modem at the next boot. So, BEFORE deinstalling with Bewan, prepare a dmg copy of the ADSL Modem driver installer on your desktop to reinstall it at next boot (once the .dmg problem ghas disappeared. I run the Thomson ST330 with dirver version 3.0.1.2.0 succesfully.

Carefull : if you .dmg problem is NOT due to a recent ADSL USB modem driver instal, you should try the other tricks first. And do not play my trick. Otherwise you're deinstalling your ADSL driver for nothing, and since the .dmg problem is NOT solved in your case, you can't reinstall your ADSL modem driver either.So you're out of the internet for a while... THINK BEFORE.

stephane.nitsas(a)wanadoo.fr

I am having this 536870208 error problem with any dmg files I download. I have tried checking my permissions, using diskimagemounter and a couple of the Terminal tricks I have sen here...I've also tried emptying cache, and restarting. This is very troubling. I am using OS 10.3.9 on a Titanium Powerbook G4. Can anyone help me?

Back