Information Management solution suggestions!

Harvey

Registered
Need some technology advice!

Problem: I Need to organize information about various organizations. The idea is to create a type of "directory" so I can keep track of them, and the info would be available so they could keep track of each other as well.

The type of info about the organizations I need to track is listed below. Most of the stuff doesn't adhere to any strict format... So I guess I'm looking at lots of free form text boxes.

Organization Address
Date Established
Short Historical Background
Objectives
Programs
Activities
Special Concerns
Publications
Other Information

Basically, I am thinking that it would be good to create a type of structured online form that the various organizations could access and enter their information themselves. The form structure would allow the information to then be exported to a text file for printing and distribution and what not. Of course, it would also be browseable and searchable online.

The first thing that comes to mind is something in Wiki format. But maybe that wouldn't be necessary...

Speaking of Wiki's, my company is using "Confluence" now, a pretty cool and easy to use Wiki package. However Confluence is not free. Doh.

Maybe a wiki isn't the best idea for this though, I'm not sure...

Kind of rambling here, but does anyone have any suggestions on how I could put something together to manage and share this information?

Any tips appreciated!

- Harvey

Well I used FileMaker Pro in the past to keep treasure followings when I was in a MUG (Macintosh User Group). It worked quite well but the database program had a slight learning curve, however it was very powerful. The program might be something you might be looking for.

Filemaker Pro. Make a web app in ASP.net. Create an excel file. The choices are endless, but which medium is going to work best for what you need? Probably a database driven website so it's not limited to platform and can be accessed anywhere, so the asp (or php) website option is probably best.

Hire a good web developer.

Interesting, but not sure I'd feel comfortable having all my company-sensitive data in someone else's hands...

Filemaker Pro is a good choice as the others have already suggested.

I've used the other products of Zoho, so wiki (set to private for only keeping my notes mostly..), planner (for sharing todos with others).. you should be able to set the access privileges so that only the people with email addresses you specify have access to it. Then again Filemaker Pro has the advantage that you have the database so more control over it.

Back