Install Bootcamp before Parallel?

Durbrow

Registered
I've ordered Parallel so that I can run IE7 for "mission critical" tasks. Does it make sense to download and install Bootcamp as well as a paranoid backup emergency Plan B? If so, do Parallel users recommend installing Bootcamp first and then installing Parallel? Thanks for any advice. Eric.

P.S. System is MacBook Pro 2.16 Core Duo 2 with 1 GB BUT will upgrade to 2 GB in one week. IE7 is the only Windows app I intend to use.

With the release candidate version of 2.5 of Parallels, you can use a Windows XP installed in BootCamp within Parallels. For that, you'd have to install BootCamp first. The good thing about it: You only have to install Windows once. The not so good: Can't suspend that virtual PC in Parallels according to the release notes.

THanks Fryke but I don't understand. First, what do you mean that you can't suspend virtual PC in Parallels? Do you mean that you can't deactivate? Second, is there any advantage to installing bootcamp at all? I know that it is greater for gamers but for non-gamers...? Thanks for the clarification.

Oh wait a minute. I understand your response. You mean that without Bootcamp installed you can suspend Parallel so as to maximize OS X applications. But when Parallels uses a Bootcamp partion you can't suspend operation of the PC part. Correcto?

Almost. :)

One of the great features of Parallels is that you normally can simply quit the app while using Windows and it'll quickly save the state of the "PC". When you start the app (and the virtual machine) again, this state is reloaded quickly. Without the need to actually reboot Windows.
If you use the BootCamp's Windows installation, Parallels tells us _not_ to use this quick-suspend feature, because of problems that arise.

The reason why I'd _still_ do it this way is that some app down the road might only run soso-lala in Parallels, and booting straight into Windows using BootCamp will give it the real performance. (Things that make use of the graphics hardware, mainly, like games, yes.)

Back