install classic from 10.2.2 no cd boot?

pengwen

Registered
i just installed a fresh copy of os x 10.2.2. Now I need to install classic on the users machine so that they can run some of their old apps. well, from what I understand (and believe me, I'm no mac guru) to install "classic" i need to install os 9, then just set the classic control panel in os x to point to the location of 9. well, in order to install os 9, i'm supposed to put the os 9 cd in, hold the c key down during the boot process, and it will boot off of the cd right? wrong. holding the c key doesnt make it boot. did that change some how? am i just approaching this completely wrong? any help would be greatly appreciated!

Your almost there! Your correct by holding down the "C" key to boot off your OS 9 CD. When installing, install onto the current partition. Upon completion reboot and you should see and OS 9 & OS X system folder with in you hard drive, you will now be able to run classic envir.

Finch

if they are using a non apple keyboard, the c key may not work. i keep my original keyboard around just to use for such situations.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the impression I got from the press is that Classic no longer needs to be installed separately when one uses Mac OS 10.2 since no separate OS 9 CD comes with the new Mac OS X installion discs.

I'm not 100% certain, however, since I have yet install 10.2 onto my PowerBook.

Could someone help us verify this?

Thanks!

Regards,
George Lien

by going into the startup control panel, i was able to select the os9 cd. Then when i held the c key, it did do something. the screen changed colors, then showed the little face icon flashing back and forth between itsself and a question mark icon. and by the way, i am using an apple keyboard.

>>Correct me if I'm wrong
>>since no separate OS 9 CD comes with the new Mac OS X installion discs.

you are wrong yet you are not wrong. The old way you would get your CD that said MAC OS 9.X whatever on the CD. It doesn't work that way anymore. OS 9 is included on the Software Restore CD's. The only way to install it is in OS X using the Software Restore application. You run Software Restore and put the correct CD in and then it will install OS 9 for you. In fact with the new Dual G4's this is the only OS 9 that is bootable. All of my old OS 9 CD aren't bootable.

well hopefully thats not the case, and frankly, i dont see how it could be. i dont have any restore cds. just an os x cd, and an os 9 cd. there has to be a way to do it w/ just those two things.

Back