install os x server

couzteau

Registered
i have a regular osx 10.1.3.

can i install the server administration software into my running system?

is there an installer?

why?
and
  • what kind of comp do you have
  • what kind of network will it be on
  • how many computers on that network

For ten users or less click here ( $500)

For 11 or more click here ( $1,000)

System Requirements

* Macintosh Server G4, Power Mac G4, Power Mac G4 Cube, iMac, Macintosh Server G3, or Power Macintosh G3*
* 128MB RAM; at least 256MB of RAM for high-demand servers running multiple services
* 4GB hard disk
* Automatic hardware restart requires a Macintosh Server G4 or Power Mac G4 released in February 2000 or later. Mac OS X Server does not support upgraded PowerPC processors.

OR

get a comp with everything all set up( $2,800 - $5,000)

I don't want to be wrong... but the answer i am giving is NO you cannot do that..

OS X and OSX Sever 2 are as similar as different.. this means that the software running on X server 2 requires you to have X server 2 installed... may be there is a hack around... but the answer to your question.. the legal one ..is No you have to format and reinstall X Server 2

Technically, I'm pretty sure they're the same OS - just like the difference between WinNT workstation and WinNT server is about $1000 and one registry key. So, keep looking, and you might well be able to turn up the answer. Probably one or two config files' difference, really...

I mean is true they re based on the same Core.. but X server 2 is more different than people might think..isnot just a matter of money... the system is different ;)
But..goood luck

Originally posted by couzteau
i have a regular osx 10.1.3.

can i install the server administration software into my running system?

is there an installer?

Do you mean, to control a Mac OS X server from an other OS X machine? Yes, you can. I think there is an installer on the Mac OS X Server CD.

You can install the server admin agent onto a OS X 10.1.3 Client and run it and administrate a remote server with no problems I do it all the time these days.

Unlike ASIP you can edit the shared points as well, this is really handy as this will mount the remote volumes on your desktop.

You can also turn a osx client into a osx server by running this file off of the server install CD "MacOSXServerInstall.mpkg" Apple have a article on the Knowledge base Article ID:106699

Client and Server are the same OS the only difference is the Applications that are installed by the server install and what ports and services are turned on or off depending on which version you are running.

A good example of this is when you install visage you can change the splash logo to os x server on the client mac and dito for the server install.
Have a look

Hope this helps

Originally posted by BBenve
I don't want to be wrong... but the answer i am giving is NO you cannot do that..

OS X and OSX Sever 2 are as similar as different.. this means that the software running on X server 2 requires you to have X server 2 installed... may be there is a hack around... but the answer to your question.. the legal one ..is No you have to format and reinstall X Server 2

Wrong wrong wrong wrong, Oh, and you're wrong. If you dont know what you are talking about, please dont comment. Not only does it make you look stupid, but it misinforms the person asking the question.

I have administrated both version of OS X server.

OS X 10 Server and OS X are based on the same kernal of Free BSD. OS X 10 Server has an administartion tools package added to it. These allow you to run afew more services and configure different services.

OS X 1.x was based on Next and that version of the server is no longer for sale by Apple.

If the version of the server you have uses Aqua, then it is the same underlying OS besides what the extra packages install. If it doesnt have the aqua interface, then its based on Next, and looks totally different.

i'm confused.

i'm talking about the osx 10 server, not the one based on next.

am i right to assume that i can run the update that starbuck suggested?

my original question was concerning to enable my machine to admin a server that resides on a different machine.

a second but just as interesting question is can i turn my machine into a fullsize server running all kinds of services. i understand running MacOSXServerInstall.mpkg will do that.

right?

Well if you talk about the X.1.3 Server or X.1 or even X.0.... well that is Basex on NeXT step and Free BSD... ... and is calles OS X Server 2

OK... Hers the LOW DOWN.

Mac OS X server does not talk to a WinTel workgroup unless you install aome third party networking sotware.

Mac OS X server 2 only differs in a handful of ways. One of the biggest changes is that it will allow you to have mix platforms on the same network, without using any thrid party applications.... ie PC, SGIs and Macs.

Lets say your working in a large design firm and with various platforms, then by using Mac OS X server 2 you could replace all the various networks with just one.

This is a example of whats been done at work... we have a SGI server for all it's machines, a WinNT server for the PC's and a Mac server for our lovly macs. Since upgrading to Mac OS X server 2 we can talk cross platform without too much hassle... plus we Mac can borrow SGI's documents... just make sure you have a application to open them :D

Originally posted by LAdesign

Mac OS X server does not talk to a WinTel workgroup unless you install aome third party networking sotware.

This is true if you wish to administrate an NT/wintookie network (ie be the Domain server, CIFS server, and all that other nonsense). To do this you will need SAMBA or possibly Dave (think it does that.. might just be a client, don't know, don't care too much).
However, it should be noted that if you want to integrate an OSX Server box into an existing Active Directory hierarchy, all you need to do is turn on LDAP services on the windoze side. NetInfo will then happily communicate with AD.

Oh, and couzteau-
I know others answered this, but this whole thread is one big off-topic post, so if it got lost in the noise:

Yes, yes, yes, you _can_ convert a 10.1.3 machine to a Server 10.1.3 machine with little hassle. Search the TIL^H^H^H Knowledge Base at apple for "Beige G3 OS X Server" to see that even Apple approves.
As to the method, Starbuck is right on. Just double-click the "MacOSXServerInstall.mpkg" file on the Server install CD.

Hope this helps...
-alex

Back