Install Panther on a blank harddrive

macmastah

Registered
Hi,

I have recently purchased and installed a 120 gb hard drive. I also, in the same computer have a previously installed 60 gb, which was getting full. I want to install panther, on the 120 (as of now its blank) and, once i backup all of the stuff that used to be on the 60 gb, clear the 60 gb, and use it as a secondary drive. I also want the computer to recognize the 120 as a master, and bott it automatically. Can someone help me to do this?

Thanks

no prob what so ever. Just insert panther DVD, hold "c" after booting and install panther on your 120gb disc. It doesn't matter on which partition or drive it is installed. It will always boot properly. No need to worry ;)

You do have to choose the correct drive in your Startup Disk preference pane, otherwise, no real hardware configuration, assuming the hard drive is recognized by your system (Installing OS X on that drive will not work if the drive is not properly configured)

DeltaMac said:
You do have to choose the correct drive in your Startup Disk preference pane, otherwise, no real hardware configuration, assuming the hard drive is recognized by your system (Installing OS X on that drive will not work if the drive is not properly configured)
No need to set any Startup Disk in the System Preferences. After a fresh install, the system will automatically boot into the freshly installed os. And when the disc shows up in the panther installation, everything will be just fine.
So, it's really nothing to worry. Just do it ;)

That's a good response if you only have a single OS X install. This poster will, for a time, have 2 OS X installs, and needs to know how to properly assure which system will be booting after backups, or copying files from one volume to the other.

I am currently trying this install myself as well. I need know that... Do you have to boot from the DVD in order to install Panther on a blank drive? Why would you have to do this? I thought you only had to boot from the CD when you are overriding the current system? I guess what I am hoping to be able to do is install panther on the empty drive (that has no OS installed yet) while doing other things on my computer.

cory1848 said:
I am currently trying this install myself as well. I need know that... Do you have to boot from the DVD in order to install Panther on a blank drive? Why would you have to do this? I thought you only had to boot from the CD when you are overriding the current system? I guess what I am hoping to be able to do is install panther on the empty drive (that has no OS installed yet) while doing other things on my computer.

Not going to happen unless you use something like Carbon Copy Cloner and NetRestore (http://www.bombich.com/software

Okay, to sum it up:

1.) Connect all harddrives (doesn't matter, really, which one's the master).
2.) Boot from Panther CD 1.
3.) Install on the new harddrive.
4.) New system is automatically set as the booting one.
5.) After setting the system up, you can move stuff from the old drive to the new one.
6.) After having restored everything to the new harddrive, you can use Disk Utility to reformat it.

cybergoober said:
Not going to happen unless you use something like Carbon Copy Cloner and NetRestore (http://www.bombich.com/software

Ok, So hopefully I am inderstanding this correctly....Get NetRestore and that should allow me to install from a local drive? Why would need to use CCC if I am not actually copying or cloning anything?

No, to do a FRESH install, you must boot from the Mac OS X install CD or DVD. To CLONE an installation that already exists on a different drive to another drive, use Carbon Copy Cloner.

There is no way to fresh install Mac OS X other than by booting from the Mac OS X install CD/DVD.

In addition, it doesn't matter which drive is set to master or slave. No precedence is given to master over slave, or vice-versa by the system. You can boot from a slave disk and have a master disk as a secondary hard drive, or vice-versa. "Master" and "Slave" are just two terms for the system to differentiate between the two drives connected to the same ATA cable.

I might be stating the obvious here, but do you want to use the _whole_ 120gig hard drive for the boot disk?

One word: partition .. lot's of them...

octane said:
I might be stating the obvious here, but do you want to use the _whole_ 120gig hard drive for the boot disk?

One word: partition .. lot's of them...

I patitioned my 160 gig drive to 100 gigs and 50 gigs. I was going to use the 100 gig partition for the boot drive with all of my programs on it. Is this wise? Or should I use the smaller partition for it? What are the advantages or disadvantages of doing this?

The issue of whether it's wise or not largely depends on what you plan on doing with your mac.

Partitioning is a good start, especially with such a large drive. However, it is entirely up to you whether you partition it or not. It isn't a requirement...

cybergoober said:

ok, I installed a copy of Jaguar onto my second drive. I downloaded and tried to use NetRestore but it is erroring out.

/usr/sbin/asr: Could not find any scan information - No such file or directory.
[30:~] mynameishere%

Question: Am I only able to restore the drive that is currently booted? Or should I be able to restore a spare drive while booted in the first one?

Got it working....Thanks for all the info guys...I got everything working correctly last night on my second drive. So now I have Panther on my 100 gig drive and Jaguar on my 60 gig drive. Very convenient...

I'm about to do something similar because I have some strange artifacts which I believe may have been carried over from Jaguar (don't ask me to elaborate, they just fit artifacts mentioned on here, and there are no other likely explanations for them), and also becuase according to my prefs I don't have a Classic-compatible version of OS9 installed (I think it means Idon't have one at all).
Now, I don't really have any use for Classic, but we're about to roll out OS X to the company, and as everyone in management is abjectly terrified of making a decision between In Design and Quark, and their all afraid of Entourage (so we need Outlook running in classic, for god's sake) I will need a working classic environment on my home G4.
I don't want to use the company image for my home machine (I'll spend ages making it usable for a grown up, so long I may as well install by hand), and I only want a very small partition for the OS9, as I am unlikely to use it often.

So;
Question 1: Does a clean install of Panther on formatted disk include an installation of Classic - the full OS 9 Operating System.
I'd thought it did, but it ain't working on mine.
Question 2: If not, how would you go about it? Install OS 9 on a small partition first, and then install Panther?

Back