Install Panther on Jaguar partition?

Manuxan

Registered
Can I install the panther preview on the same partition where I have Os X 10.2.6 installed?
I want to do so because I have a lot of data on my hard drive and have only 1 partition of 40 Gb!
How can I install Panther correctly?

Thanks and sorry for my poor English!

I'd advise strongly against it. Apparently, Panther deletes certain apps when installing. Also, this is *beta* software. You will not be able to upgrade to the GM (golden master) version of Panther. In short: Don't do it !

So how can I install it? How can I make another partition without reformatting all the disk? Is there any utility to do that?

Thanks again!

You can't. You either have to repartion your disk (that means you also have to reformat it) or buy an additional HD (internal or external).

Yep, one of the negative's of Mac, is the inability to repartition without wiping the drive.

Since you have 40 gb, if you can, repartition into at least 3 partitions (1 for panther, 1 for 10.2, and one for your work... this way, you can always reinstall/wipe partitions which will not effect your work.

Harddisk Toolkit can do it, but I don't trust it. :p

This is the right time to get an external Firewire harddrive. You can backup your complete homefolder, apps folder etc. (even clone your system onto it) and then use the internal hd for everything else. Or the other way round.

Ok, thanks!

So after the backup of my documents what types of partitions should I create? How much Gb for each?

Jaguar ?
Panther ?
My data ?

And where I have to put the apps?

Thanks again!!!

Disk Utility which comes with the system is the standard. As for sizes Manuxan... I have similar partitions setup and they are:

10.3: 10GB
10.2: 10GB
Work: 18GB
www: 1GB (A partition solely setup as a the web server directory)

You could go lower with the two system partitions (about 5-7gb each, 10 is probably generous (depends if you use your Home directory to store work etc... I don't.)

Back