Iomega external usb2 hdd lacks performance

mrmille

Registered
Its annoying. My external Iomega HDD 160 usb2 seems to work with usb1. Transfering 20gb takes several hours.

Any idea?

Im using OS10.2

if you don't have USB 2 ports on your computer (you don't if you're HDD is hooked to the computer in your auto signature) then file xfer will only happen at USB 1 speeds. USB 1 has two speed modes, low speed 1.5Mbps and 12Mbps. Very slow for HDD. You might want to look into getting a USB 2 PCI card from MacWarehouse or someplace.

Hmm, well, according to the systeminformation it has usb2 ports. I dont think apple would release a G5 without?

your auto sig denotes 1.25GHz. There has never been a Power Mac Dual 1.25GHz G5 released. 1.8 single processor has been the slowest in the US - and according to apple.com same for Sweden (http://www.apple.com/se/powermac/specs.html).

if you're using it in a different computer then the one in the post, be sure to mention it along w/ any other specs since we have no other way of knowing.

If that is truly dual 1.25, it's a G4 (MDD 2003). And it has 2 12Mbit/sec
USB ports. No blazing speed there.

What filesystem is that HD formatted as? OSX seems to transfer slower to a FAT32 partition. I've had various external storage devices, from regular external HDs to my iPod's HD. When I reformat the HD into HFS+ file transfer speeds pick up noticably.

Back