iPhoto Formats

Sparrowhawk

Registered
Hi,
iPhoto continues to bewilder me. When I open iPhoto, I have the expected range of photos I've taken or imported. However, when I try clicking on iPhoto library, I get a series of numbers that appear to represent years, with numerous sub-folders, many of them empty. How can I get all these images to appear on the regular iPhoto window? In other words, I'd rather deal with actual images than a series of numbers. Also, how does one back up iPhoto? Again, when I examine the iPhoto Library, I get a series of numbers. Thanks for your time. Sparrowhawk.

iPhoto takes care of the iPhoto library for you. You don't need to get at those files at all, as long as you are using iPhoto. Just start the iPhoto software, and there's your pictures. Many iPhoto users get into trouble when they try to modify the file and folder structure in that iPhoto library, so I would suggest that you leave that library as is. If you need to work with your iPhoto pictures, then do that through the iPhoto interface.

You're absolutely right, I prefer to deal with the actual images, which is the root of the real problem, i.e., how does one back up those images?

The bulk of the iPhoto library is your images, so you could simply back up the iPhoto library.
Or, you could back up only the Originals folder in your iPhoto library. That's all your original images, as they were originally imported.

Back