iphoto import problems

Paul Deans

Registered
Hi I am new to imac and am having problems importing pictures from my Panasonic camera and from the memory card to iphoto. It will import the thumbnails ok but won't work with them once the card or camera is removed from the USB. I have deleted the pictures from the memory card as I thought they had fully imported.

The camera is a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ7 and the card is a Panasonic SD class 2 512mb.

When I enquired at the shop from which I bought the camera they couldn't help and said they had other clients with similar problems. I also tried phoning mac help and they couldn't help either, only that there may be driver problems.

Help!
Paul

Also, is it possible to organize my photos into folders and subfolders using iphoto???
Should I get a better programm to work my photos?

You could try copying the pictures from the camera onto the desktop and then import them to iPhoto, just as a workaround. It does sound as if the camera might keep thumbnails in a different folder than the originals, though I haven't heard of that before, so look into that.
As for the pictures you've already deleted they may still be recoverable. I recovered about 130 photos from my son's camera after he had accidentally erased them. I can't remember the software I used but there's plenty around for about 20GBP, such as CardRecovery.

My old Sony worked fine with OSX 10.4.11 and iPhoto, but it won't with 10.5.2.

However, when I take the memory card out of the camera and use it via a USB card reader, everything is fine.

There is an application called Image Capture that lies between the input and iPhoto. Check that the preferences in Image Capture are correctly set and that it recognises your camera.

You can use iPhoto to organise into folders etc.

... It will import the thumbnails ok ...
Are you sure? For about a decade now, I have used digital cameras from various manufacturers. I have used them in MacOS 8, MacOS 9, MacOS X, Windows 98, Windows Me, and Windows XP. I have never seen a thumbnail on a camera. In MacOS X, thumbnails are created by iPhoto during import.

Unlike older versions, the current version iPhoto does not necessarily copy photographs into its library. You have the option of leaving the photographs in their source location and using iPhoto to access them there. Check iPhoto's settings to ensure that it is supposed to copy full-resolution photographs to your account's iPhoto Library.

In answer to the last question in the original post. You organize your photos from within the app, not in the library in finder. Stay out of the finder if you want to use iPhoto. Within the app, make folders (e.g., Vacations) and then put albums or smart albums into them (e.g., Summer 2007, Winter 2008). Easy to organize that way. Assigning keywords to you photos when you import helps as well. Then you can either search for a keyword and find those photos, or you can create a smart album for each and then each photo will appear automatically in the appropriate album.

Just don't do anything to the library in finder!

Back