iPod Compatibility?

Puj

Registered
I appologize if this question has been asked before or seems obvious, but I really want to be sure before I connect my iPod to my Mac!
I have a 5g iPod that's been formatted to windows. I've recently bought my first mac. Will I need to reformat the iPod for it to be found on the mac and for me to be able to transfer music via iTunes - or can I get away with doing so whilst still formatted for windows?
I plan on using my PC and my Mac on a relatively equal basis, and it would be a shame if I had to format my iPod every time I connected it to one or the other.

well, going off what i remember from the size of your ipod, its old enough that it is one of the ipods that you had to buy for the platform you were going to use it on, and that it was not possible to format it for the other platform. or in otherwords, if you plug it into your mac, and itunes doesn't let you use it, or even see it, you're out of luck, and will need to get a new ipod.

I may be mistaken, but I believe even the earliest iPods could be utlized with either platform, regardless of the initial formatting. You would, however, have to reformat it to your system if it came formatted for the other system.

Makes sense?

For you, unless I'm again mistaken, you will have to format it back and forth everytime you use it on a different platform.

By the way, by 5g do you mean fifth generation or 5 gigabyte?

5G would be "5th generation", not 5 GB version of the 1st generation iPod.

You'll need to find some third-party software to use your Windows-
formatted iPod on your Mac. And whatever you do, don't select
auto-synch on both machines.

Back