iPod competition--with removable media & USB 2.0

I think iPod is still the best thing for me. The simplicity still rocks. But an external battery pack for long journeys would rock.

now we're starting to get somewhere... external battery packs, pda enhancements, car stereo docking bays...

a while back somebody questioned why somebody would want a removable drive in an iPod... and i've come up with a common scenereo which might illustrate this suggestion..

the iPod is becoming very popular, which means that a lot of mac & non-mac users will have them all the time... as an mp3 player most people will have them when they travel, etc... what if somebody needed to "swap out" data quickly and without hassle? Just pull out your iPod... or your friends iPod... somebody here suggested that if you wanted removable storage to use a DVD, but the problem is not too many people are porting DVD ROM drives around... hopefully I don't have to reach too far to plant this seed in your head... it's a really good idea, and I'm sure Apple has already considered it... hmm...

Still, the iPod is so small there is really no need for removable storage, if you want to listen to someone else's song, just switch iPods for a minute, and if you want to put something on a computer, use the firewire cable. How is this any worse than removable storage?

I agree with xaqintosh. I don't understand how your point illustrated the need for a removeable drive in the iPod. Can you explain?

The mounting of the iPod HDD is simple, with rubber shock mounts all over. For a simple reason... it simply keeps the HDD in the iPod living longer.

And with removables, well, ever wondered why many Nokia 8000 series phones have a loose back battery cover? And that is what you get for a removable this, removable that gadget.

iPod industrial design still wins hands down. Simple common sense design goes a long way. Portable DVDs? that would need a fairly large player... cannot slip into my pocket.

iPod still wins. I am not convinced with the other "new" designs. And the removable drive unit looks butt ugly (personal preference doesn't count in polls)...

Unless someone uses that thin looking drive and cascade them into a mp3 player and making it 50GB (a matter of time anyway, with platter technology ever progressing, HDD will be larger than that...) so iPod STILL wins.

Hmm... I wish there are better choices out there, because there are still some functions I wish in my iPod. Car chargers is bull if you are on a bus on a long trip. So you pretty screwed. So external battery pack with Firewire? Well, someone read this and come out with something soon. It is not that hard. We have USB chargers running on 9volts batteries in Asia for more than a year. JUST GIMME THAT FIREWIRE CONNECTOR DAMMIT! :D

Back