iPod dead!

Have you had technical problems with your iPod?

• Yes, I have had various problems with the iPod's system.

Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Yes, I have had problems with my computer synchronizing my iPod.

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • What's wrong with you all; mine's perfect!

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelsanford

Translator, Web Developer
This has happened twice in the past 3 days.

With a nearly full (75% + indicated on the battery meter), if I leave it on pause, it turns off after 2 minutes like it's supposed to, then doesn't turn back on again!

The first time plugging it into FireWire fixed it, the second time it didn't and I had to reset it (Menu + Pause/Play for 5 seconds).

It's less than a month old, and it's never been damaged.

Anyone else have these problems?

Not sure I can check off either. I just got my iPod on Sunday, and yesterday it wouldn't turn back on after turning itself off. I had to reset it. That was the only time. It was running 1.2. I updated it last night to 1.2.1. I'll let you know if it happens again. Fine since, though. And I use it all day at work as well as on the way to and from.

My first one, 10gig old style, froze a few times and eventually the hard drive went bad. But i had the compUSA warrenty so i upgraded for $100 to a 20gig and it's never crashed. However the battery indicator is way off. Sometimes it's full, sometimes it's empty, then it's 3/4ths and that's all within 10 seconds.

Ohh well. I'm still happy has can be!! :D

Twister
10 gig lasted from may 2002 to sept 2002
20 gig from sept 2002 to today

Twister, after searching the Apple iPod dicussion boards, I found that the flaky battery meter is common. Mine seems to do it too.

I think I will get the CompUSA warrenty. Everyone seems to recommend it. You too, I guess? :)

They've changed it since i got my first one. They increased the price 100%. It's now 60 for two years. Also they wouldn't give it to me unless my Box was un opened. But i think it has to do with who you talk to. Each store is different. But i the upgrade feature is the best part.

Check into it. :D

Twister

I had similar issues with the my 5 GB iPod dying after leaving it on pause for a couple of minutes. That was before the sales rep for the all Mac campus computer store mentioned it was a common problem and that upgrading it to the latest software version would fix it. Hasn't been giving me too much trouble since (although I do keep it plugged into my Mac a lot).

My 5gig iPod seems to have bit the bullet fully here. :confused: Before would have probs with it not powering on and I'd have to plug it in the firewire or wall to 'kick start it' even though the battery was full. Now after using it the following night it doesn't even power on. Reset doesn't work, pluging into the wall charging doesn't work, discharging and reseting doesn't work... it's dead Jim... So I have to HOPE that they cover me on this, not even a year old yet.

*sigh* :(

Theres no reason that you would not be covered. It went dead on it's own and it's still in warenty range. It should be ok.

Twister

Plugged it in the firewire, just as I was about to take it in.... and now it works. That is one of the wierdest things I've seen there in a long time. :confused:

Now it's COMPLETELY dead.

I get a disk-scanning icon pop up then a "sad iPod" icon. Can't force it into firewire disk mode to update it, the Apple tech on the phone said it's totally fried.

Apple's sending me a new one, which is what I'd expect, but they're pretty darn fast about it I have to admit (they're sending me the iPod-return box in 2 days...)

But it doesn't really inspire a whole lot of confidence for something that "Starts at only $479" to break within a month... :(

Back