iPod HD space

Paragon

Interstellar traveler
I got a small question. When I look at how much space is used on my iPod in iTunes it tells me around 1 GB is being used! It's the same in the finder. Now I don't have any songs on there so I figured that the OS itself takes up some space but I mean 1 GB. Is there someway to see the hidden files on there or erase the files i don't need?

Are you sure it's not saying 1 kb or something? Post a screen shot if you can so we can get a better idea. Also, if you browse the iPod is there any files on there? Like did you maybe accidently copy some apps to it?

Well, 5GB and 10GB are always lower when you actually count them. This is where a lot of the space has gone, it's the same for all harddisks.
My 5Gb lost around 500kb, so if you have a 10Gb iPod, I could easily understand the loss.

Also, the OS takes a bit of space.

I dunno.. I just got my shiney new (well, all scratched to hell after 1 day of normal usage) 5G iPod. Anyways, I noticed that there's a good 50M being used by default as reported by iTunes) with the 1.1 firmware. Heck, that's enough room for a full cd of music.

Kinda disappointed in that aspect.

The first thing I did with my iPod is replace those crummy headphones with some Sony in-the-ear-canal buds.. much better bass response. :D Now I just have to get a decent case because I can't believe how susceptable the polished metal housing is to scuffs and scratches. It looks like someone took sandpaper to it, and it's only been in my pocket for a couple hours.. yeesh! Thankfully the plastic face is completely unscathed. I pity the poor sod that gets the laser engraving because it will look crummy after a couple weeks.

Overall, I love my iPod and can't see myself giving it up for anything. I drive a VW Golf, and the deck has a phono plug input, which I plug my iPod into and it sounds just a good as a CD (considering the poor acustical enviroment of an automobile).

Did I mind paying the Apple premium? Not really.. they've always built innovative products, and the iPod is no different. I couldn't, however, justify the extra price for the 10G version even though I have about 10G of MP3's on my G4 tower at home (yes, they are ALL from my own purchased CD's *grins*). The 10G ipod would've cost an extra CDN$200, strange considering the exchange rate is 1.6, not 2.0.. So I figured I'd wait until the price of the drives dropped down enough and replace it myself when the time comes.

I solved my problem...that is I reset the iPod. I never found out what it was that toke up 1 Gig of space. I suspect it's because I sometimes forgot to disconnect the iPod before I unplugged it. Maybe that way it would build up some hidden files that couldn't be deleted...I don't know. Anyways thanks for the answers.

Back