iPod Photo Question

cgratti

Registered
Can you plug in a card reader into the iPod photo to transfer photos from a CF card to store pics on while shooting? Is there a USB or Firewire port on it?

Symphonix is right -- but it should be noted that you can't just plug in ANY OLD card reader. The Belkin unit knows how to do the transfer without a computer, most others don't.

Correct -- in addition, don't expect to be able to actually view the downloaded pics on the iPod photo, though. It doesn't work that way -- you still gotta take the iPod home, download the pictures to iPhoto, then sync it through iTunes to get those pictures viewable on the iPod's screen.

brianleahy said:
Really? I didn't know that one.

Neither did I. and I'm bit annoyed about it really as Apple's website was a little misleading.

This was the main reason I got my iPod photo - and now it turns out it's not even possible!

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Correct -- in addition, don't expect to be able to actually view the downloaded pics on the iPod photo, though. It doesn't work that way -- you still gotta take the iPod home, download the pictures to iPhoto, then sync it through iTunes to get those pictures viewable on the iPod's screen.
You-have-got-to-be-kidding-me.

The more I hear about the iPod photo, the crappier it sounds. Doesn't transfer a matching copy of photos, doesn't allow you to view photos transferred from cards, doesn't connect directly to cameras and ridiculously expensive.

Apple's definitely going to lose ground to it's competitors in the high end market (i.e. those players with decent video playing capability) in the not too distant future.

Kap

P.S. However, I'm loving my iPod shuffle. :)

Just ordered my iPod Photo.

Will be here tomorrow. My Powerbook is being sent back tomorrow. My Powerbook had a Hard Drive problem it turns out, and it crashed in a diagnostics test... meaning it became corrupt and had to be wiped. So, I have little of my 12GB of music for my iPod tomorrow, heh. Still, I am happy.

Doesn't transfer a matching copy of photos,

What exactly do you mean by that?

Giving the iPod photo the smarts to copy photos directly from a camera would make it more expensive still and perhaps bigger - it'd have to be a 'USB Master' device.

brianleahy said:
What exactly do you mean by that?
When you transfer photos from your computer to the iPod photo, they have to be converted into some kind of proprietry format.

If you want to carry the photos in their original format, you have to drag and drop them and just use the iPod photo as a hard drive (i.e. Exactly as would just using any regular iPod).

Kap

they have to be converted into some kind of proprietry format.

Ah. Well, that's delightful. And I guess it explains why you can't view native JPG photos transferred via the Belkin card reader.

Ceroc Addict said:
When you transfer photos from your computer to the iPod photo, they have to be converted into some kind of proprietry format.

If you want to carry the photos in their original format, you have to drag and drop them and just use the iPod photo as a hard drive (i.e. Exactly as would just using any regular iPod).

Kap
Not exactly true. You can set iTunes to copy the full resolution copies over as well automatically.

Back