ipod problem

hozomeen

Registered
i have an old ipod 3rd gen that i recently tried to play with on my new macbook. itunes recognized it but told me i had to reset to factory settings. so i set about backing up my ipod and then when i try to get to the same reset window in itunes it won't show up, itunes doesn't recognize the ipod. so i tried to open ipod updater and just do it from there, however i can't find it (should be under app>utilities right?) and when i try to download and install it it says it's already installed.

the ipod mount always shows up on my desktop

You might want to simply reset the 3G ipod (don't have it plugged in when you do this). Hold the center button and the Menu button down at the same time till the screen goes dark, then let go, wait for the screen to turn back on again. You should see the apple on restart.

This is a hard reset of the ipod itself and is a common fix for any issues.

Then I'd say plug that ipod back in and let iTunes update it once more.

Hopefully that fixes it.

You can go into disk utilily, and Format it there, and then itunes will say that it has found an ipod in recovery mode, and it must be restored before it can be used.

In windows- Find it in my computer, right click, properties, format.

i had reset before but tried again...nothing. then did disk utility, and it worked beautifully! thanks for your help guys!

Back