Is owning an Apple Computer an advantage?

There is a point in speed where it doesn't really matter anymore to the average person. People think that a 2.2 ghz pentium is really going to give them that much more of an advantage over a 1.4ghz pentium. In all reality unless someone is doing heavy graphics work they dont need a hugely powerful card. Owning a mac is more then just speed.

Speaking of stagnant technologies, Whats the deal with quicktime? I have just recently taken interest in watching downloaded movies such as the cartoon "Invader Zim" in AVI and trying to figure out why I have to bend over backwards to watch them. From what I read, its just a bug in quicktime and we've had the same version of quicktime for how long? Can someone tell me if decoding AVI is truely so difficult or is there something else going on?

as an art and design major in college, i have to say that i enjoy my (recently purchased) imac much much more than the laptops that the school has provided us with. we are known as michigan's "laptop university," because the administration has made it mandatory for all students and staff to own a laptop. they are provided, although we have to pay for them as part of tuition. the machine of choice? ibm thinkpad, running windows me (popular nicknames include craptops and stinkpads). lovely, let me tell you. the art students were given absolutely no choice in the matter. at all. the art professors were given the choice between mac and pc, b/c all of our imaging labs are filled to the brim with imacs and g4s.

oh well.

at any rate, i purchased an imac last week, and am teased relentlessly for it. any suggestions as to what i can do to prove to these m$ lovers that my baby is at least as good, if not better than their machine??? it just seems like i'll never hear the end of it! (btw, it's a 500mhz g3 running 10.1.2, with 128megs ram...)
:)

Originally posted by cgiard
Tormente,
I don't know who you are trying to delude, but Macs DO NOT have better video QUALITY. They may be able to deal with mpeg2 data faster than a PC, but that doesn't mean the quality is any better. The graphics card/monitor combination is what affects quality, and every video card in the last 3 years that has been available for the Mac has also been available for the PC. The same can not be said of the reverse (for example, you can't buy a card for the Mac like the high end 3Dlabs Wildcat and Oxygen cards).

The Mac is a great platform, and in many ways is superior to a Wintel machine (Lintel is a harder comparison), but video QUALITY is not one of those ways.

Really?
Then how come Unreal Tournament looks a heck of a lot smoother and a lot richer on my Mac than on my PC? Both running the same card, same version of the game, same patches, same mods...

I did a fly-by ("press fire when ready") and paid extra attention to details like the Redemer on both systems, got them to look at the exact same thing at the exact same angle at the exact same distance and really scrutinized details.

PC: Jagged
Mac: A lot smoother and richer in color and dept

Only difference? PC: 17 inch Compac Monitor (CRT), Mac: 17 inch Apple Studio Display (CRT).

If Macs dont display video better VS PCs (at least, without paying thousands of dollars just for a video card)... what is wrong in this situtaion?

Back