Is Tiger 10.4 only available for G4s?

qwikstreet

OS X Friendly
That is, when it's released. I'm seconds away from buying an iBook. I just want to make sure a G3 isn't going to short me on Tiger.

Also besides smalldog and powermax, where is a good refurbish mac seller?

No one knows what the requirements of the final release of Tiger will be, and anyone who claims to is lying. After many guarantees of knowing what features the new iPod will sport (ahem, color screen?!), I'm reluctant to believe anything anyone says here about upcoming releases.

The requirements for the Developer's pre-release version of Tiger handed out at the WWDC are a G3, G4 or G5, a DVD drive, and FireWire. I don't know (and neither does anyone else) if those will be the final requirements. I highly doubt that Apple would shut out those of us lacking DVD drives, but who knows?

I'm not concerned too much about DVD drive, since that is a requirement by me. I just don't want my G3 to be useless under Tiger.

qwikstreet said:
iBook 900 G3 for 750. Just ordered it. Can't go wrong with that.

the iBook G3 900 is great. ive owned two. runs so much cooler than the G4 iBooks and the battery life is a lot better as well.

I can second kendalls opinion about G3 ibooks. Mine runs very silent, rather cool and the battery duration is still quite high.

I think the lowest processor it will support will be a 800 mhz G3 iBook or iMac. I would actually be suprised if this was the minimum requirement with all the new stuff that is coming to Tiger. In short, it will be compatible.

If you're expecting the previous iMac's to work just like the FP iMac's on Tiger your in some dreamworld.

ApeintheShell said:
If you're expecting the previous iMac's to work just like the FP iMac's on Tiger your in some dreamworld.

i dont understand this thinking. each new release of OS X has become significantly faster on older hardware. now why all the sudden with Tiger is that not expected?

kendall said:
and the battery life is a lot better as well.

How much "better" is "a lot better"? My G4 iBook so far has gotten 4+ hours out of the battery. How much more than that are the G3 iBooks getting?

baggss said:
How much "better" is "a lot better"? My G4 iBook so far has gotten 4+ hours out of the battery. How much more than that are the G3 iBooks getting?

ive owned powerbooks and ibooks. both rated for 5 hours use. powerbooks and G4 ibooks got around around 3+ hours with conservative energy saver settings (no reduced CPU speed though).

G3 ibooks with the same setting would get around 4 hours.

i dont know how people get 4+ hours. they must throttle the CPU, dim the screen to almost black and not use AirPort or BT. also, their work load must consist of mostly writing email and browsing the web.

ive had over half a dozen Apple notebooks an never gotten 4+ hours, ever.

kendall said:
ive owned powerbooks and ibooks. both rated for 5 hours use. powerbooks and G4 ibooks got around around 3+ hours with conservative energy saver settings (no reduced CPU speed though).

i dont know how people get 4+ hours. they must throttle the CPU, dim the screen to almost black and not use AirPort or BT. also, their work load must consist of mostly writing email and browsing the web.

That's exactly how Apple squeezes 5 hours out of the battery -- dim the screen, throttle the processor and use non-intensive applications. It's not rated for 5 - 6 hours under normal use, it's rated that long for light use with as many energy saving features on as possible.

Throttling the CPU, like you said you didn't do, is probably the biggest energy saver in the whole setup.

kendall said:

Actually, I have not throttled back the CPU or dimmed the monitor, but I do mostly surf the web and do e-mail while using airport, I will admit. I've dumped some photos to it, but it was plugged in when I did that. I have yet to do anything very processor intensive with it, as it was mainly bought to unshackle me from my desktop occasionally and allow me to take advantage of the free high-speed access most hotels offer (I travel a lot and my work PC, a POS Dell laptop, will not allow me to use the local networks in the hotels).

baggss said:
Actually, I have not throttled back the CPU or dimmed the monitor, but I do mostly surf the web and do e-mail while using airport, I will admit. I've dumped some photos to it, but it was plugged in when I did that....

yeah, battery life is most dependent on the users varying usage.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Throttling the CPU, like you said you didn't do, is probably the biggest energy saver in the whole setup.

yeah, and it also makes my $2700 1GHz TiBook a $700 500MHz Pismo. :D

if i wanted a Pismo, i could have saved the $2000.

my point wasnt that it couldnt be done. my point was that it has been my experience that G3 iBooks get better battery performance than G4 iBooks with the same Energy Saver settings.

kendall said:
yeah, battery life is most dependent on the users varying usage.

HMMM...sounds suspiciously like the whole iPod battery issue (don't use the backlight, etc...)

Back