iSight, Yes or No?

jonparadise

Registered
Simple question I hope.

I'm off to get a Web cam tomorrow, for my Powerbook. Obviously, iSight is my first choice for looks and loyalty to brand, but how it's performance?

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers.
Jon

iSight is one of the best webcams you can get for your Mac. It has awesome image quality, it mounts right on your monitor (meaning it almost—but not quite—looks like you & the other person are looking at each other), it's got a built-in microphone, and it's got a great look.

Thanks for all your help guys.

I'm not the proud owner of iSight. What a funky little piece of kit it is too!

I'm already bugging my mates with little movies I've edited in iMovie. Poor sods.

J

I have a 10Euro firewire webcam from D-Link which works great. I don't see the point in paying 16times more for a cam that is surely not THAT much better. I get wonderful 640x480 video and fast. Only thing is that I have to focus manually. Sometimes annoying but for the price this is really ok.

chevy said:
The Swiss Apple Store proposes the Unibrain cam, much less expensive (and very ugly)

I like my ugly unibrain cam. The quality is great. It was about the only choice for firewire cams 18 months ago.

I have tried the iSight .. picture quality is great.

If you think you will use it a lot, and the price is not an issue, go for it. If money isn't that much around, or you probably use the webcam only a little (which probably will not occur), then even a cheapo camera could do it. :)

For ppl who are interested:
I can recommend D-Link DRF-350C.
Pro:
Cheap, good quality, fast video
Contra:
you will need a good lamp and you will need to focus manually once you change the position

Back