Isolating Displays

BoaRd bRYce

Registered
I have an iBook and I just set up a docking station for it. I have been looking for a way to turn off the LCD display so I can use it with my larger desktop display. I can use it now, but both displays are on at the same time. How can I turn off the LCD? I have OS X 10.2.8.

Hey Bryce,
sorry, but this is the wrong forum you posted. Check out the rules.
Anyway, a mod is going to move it soon.
So, how to turn off your screen? Well, one way is to simply turn off the background light. This will do great, since it is no more wasting any energy. But I think you will be more interested to this:
plug a usb-keyboard to your book and also plug your desktop screen. Now simply close the lid and you will be surprised. It is still running. Isn't that great? :)
If you don't have a usb-keyboard, just turn off the backlight of your lcd.
And last but not least: welcome to the forum! ;)

I tried that. Closing it just makes it go to sleep. The keyboard I'm using is off of an old G3, back when the power button was on it. How do you turn off the backlight?

Hmmmm, this is weird. Did you plug the keyboard and setup the screen and simply close the lid? And it went to sleep? This is not right...
Ok, simply press F1 till the backlight is completely off.

Alright, that worked but it still goes to sleep if I close it. Yes everything is plugged in. If I hit a key while its closed it comes on for a second and then goes back to sleep.

Plug everything in and restart the computer. As soon as the Apple appears, close the lid and you should be able to use the external display.

If you want, what you should do is plug in your external monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and close teh iBook. Then, press a key on the keyboard to wake it up. Then, since Apple says you shouldn't run the iBook closed, open it. your internal screen will remain off while your external screen still works.

adambyte said:
If you want, what you should do is plug in your external monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and close teh iBook. Then, press a key on the keyboard to wake it up. Then, since Apple says you shouldn't run the iBook closed, open it. your internal screen will remain off while your external screen still works.

Mine turns on the screen right away when I open the lid by just pressing the button. But I gotta admit, have no keyboard and external screen pluged.

Back