iSub dillema US/UK/Aussie

wapstar

iAussie
I am looking to buy an iSub here in the US.
I might be moving to back Australia soon and as far as I know my 17" imac will automatically convert its power, so I just need a new power cable for that. (please correct me if I am wrong)

The US iSub however has a 110v power source and apparently won't convert the 240v to whatever DC voltage it needs. I hear a UK/Euro power source will work though. Is this true? using a simple plug converter.
Does anyone know a way around this? Can I just buy a third party power source and use, or does the iSub have a unique connection? to the unit itself that is.
Any advice accepted. *(conditions apply, see below ) :)

Cheers

* I know there are many alternatives, but the iSub looks so cool, and I only want advice on that right now. :)

wapstar said:
I am looking to buy an iSub here in the US.
I might be moving to back Australia soon and as far as I know my 17" imac will automatically convert its power, so I just need a new power cable for that. (please correct me if I am wrong)

The US iSub however has a 110v power source and apparently won't convert the 240v to whatever DC voltage it needs. I hear a UK/Euro power source will work though. Is this true? using a simple plug converter.
Does anyone know a way around this? Can I just buy a third party power source and use, or does the iSub have a unique connection? to the unit itself that is.
Any advice accepted. *(conditions apply, see below ) :)

Cheers

* I know there are many alternatives, but the iSub looks so cool, and I only want advice on that right now. :)

Ok well I obviously am a Mac user but I also happen to be an Aussie.
I don't have iSub but now that you have mentioned it, I may well choose one for myself. I have not actually seen the power cord transformer set-up.
But, from my knowledge, these things have universal transformer bricks. Companies like Apple have been making product to go to every corner of the globe for quite long enough not to make such a mistake as to limit the adaptability to US only. It is inconcievable that they would limit such devices. You should have a brick and a power cord. The brick should have its own lead to the iSub. The power cord itself should be just like a 2 pin jug cord.., male one end and female the other. Being an aussie you should know what a jug cord is. These are pretty standardised these days and fit all sorts of devices such as your Ghetto Blaster.
Now all you should need to do, is look inside the apple box that the device comes in. Amongst the parephenalia should be a spare power cord.. It will not have the two (male) round pins for the 110v outlets that are in the US and Canada. It should have three (male)*pins but may only have two and they will be the standard 240v flat pins. Use this cord instead of the US one. If there is no cord in the box when you are buying it... ask for one. Otherwise you can buy them a dime a dozen in Australia. It isn't going to cost you much. If the brick isn't universal .. it will have a switch on it that says 110v~240v .. In this case of course, you just flick the bloody switch mate. However, whether the brick is universal or switched .. you will still need the correct power cord.

I repeat, there should not be an non-adaptable transformer. Whoever told you that was confused.

I believe the iSub is Harmon Kardon, not Apple... therefore it won't necessarily have a universal power plug.

The isub is however available in australia. if worst comes to worst, buy a new Harmon Kardon power adapter.

I dont think the iSub is available by itself. I think it onlycomes with the soundsticks?? Would that use the same power adapter as the stand alone isub?

My understanding was that the isub itself also housed the amp for the soundsticks, and therefore "powers" them.

Now because the iSub (set) has the amp for the soundsticks would that require a higher voltage than the stand alone iSub??

I just had an email from HK, here tis

The iSub power supply is AC. You will need to purchase a power converter
110/120v to whatever the power rating is in your country. Please contact
your local electronic store for the correct converter. There are no third
party power supplies available.

Best Regards,
Harman-Multimedia
877-266-6202

Back